Author Topic: Southoe Marriage - William Garner and Elizabeth?  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Alisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southoe Marriage - William Garner and Elizabeth?
« on: Thursday 15 November 07 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help me find the maiden name of Elizabeth b. Southoe 1793ish, married to William Garner in 1811? The only marriage record I can find just says 'Elizabeth' - no sirname. Is there another way to find out?

hope so!

Thanks for your time,
Alisa

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southoe Marriage - William Garner and Elizabeth?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 November 07 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Is he the William Gardner age 61 born Old Warden, Beds married to Elizabeth age 58 on 1851 census at Southoe with children George & Martha

HO107/1750; Folio: 118; Page: 8 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southoe Marriage - William Garner and Elizabeth?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 07 21:39 GMT (UK) »
At least two other ways!

I take it you obtained your information from a member submission on the IGI? IGI entries like this are a joke - if the member had really known anything about the marriage he would have included Elizabeth's maiden name, the date of the marriage, and the place. He didn't, so it's pure guesswork on his part, taken probably from the baptism of one of their children in Southoe, or from a census. He got the year and the place wrong!

The only marriage in Hunts at around this time of a William Garner was at Diddington, a mile north of Southoe, in 1810 with Elizabeth Pestel,  per Hunts Marriage Index (another way number one). Also Diddington parish register - baptisms and marriages - has been extracted onto the BVRI (another way number two), where the marriage date is shown as 12 Oct 1810. Both were of the parish of Diddington. If you check the parish register microfilm (see below) you'll get the names of the witnesses which may give a clue.

I assume it is them living in Southoe in 1841 and 1851 - shout if you haven't got full details (the one's John found). The birthplace of William, age 61 in 1851, is given as Old Warden, Beds, where there's a baptism of a William Garner on 2 March 1789, son of Thomas and Mary Garner, labourer (parish register transcript, but also on the IGI as an extracted entry, so reliable, unlike the member submission above)

Elizabeth was age 58 in 1851, birthplace Southoe, where the register has been filmed by the LDS but is on neither the IGI nor the BVRI. You'll need to view the film at your nearest LDS Family History Centre - there is an Elizabeth Pestall baptised at Diddington on 12 Jan 1789, daughter of Thomas and Mary, but the place is at variance with censuses (notwithstanding that she married in Diddington) and the age is 3 years adrift,  which is why I say you need to check the Southoe register

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock