Author Topic: Family resemblance - what do you think?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Family resemblance - what do you think?
« on: Thursday 15 November 07 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Today I recieved a photograph which I'd like to share, along with a theory, which I'd like your comments on...

My great great grandfather (1st photo), Joseph Armory, born 1860, was illigitimate according to his birth and marriage certificates.

His mother (Ann Armory) then had another illigitimate son, William, in 1863, but his birth certificate states that Henry Simpson was the father.

Ann Armory then married Henry Simpson in 1864 after he was widowed(married 1860, wife died in child birth in 1862).

Today I recieved this photo (photo 2) of Henry Simpson.

I think he and Joseph Armory are very alike and therefore Henry is likely to be Joseph's father.

What do you think?

Legs
xxxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family resemblance - what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 November 07 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I'd say there's a good chance you're right. Certainly the features are very similar, as well as the thinning hair which tends to be hereditary. With the documentary evidence for William, and the later marriage, I think I would make the connection but include a cautionary note on his record, if he was mine.

Mike.  :)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 07 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Mike, there are some striking similarities and I would add a note on your records just noting your lack of proof but evidence that you have that makes it likely.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 07 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Looks a promising match to me.

Liz

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 07 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Cool!

Thank you all, the note has already been added!!!

I've been chatting with some friends in the chatroom and they think they are quite similar too, so probably related in some way.

How exciting!!!

Thanks again
Legs
xxxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 07 19:44 GMT (UK) »
There's certainly a great similarity there.  Have you noticed their ears?

Could be interesting to place the photos side-by-side in the record along with the note.

Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline g a r

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 07 01:23 GMT (UK) »
for easier comparison a side by side.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 November 07 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Even the way their hair peaks at the top of their foreheads!  Definitely related, I'd say!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 November 07 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I agree Marie

Now that you can see them side by side they are very similar, note the mouth and chin, got to be related!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....