Author Topic: John Baillie; Alexander Baillie  (Read 4712 times)

Offline rebb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John Baillie; Alexander Baillie
« on: Thursday 15 November 07 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information about my great grandparents.  John Baillie, was born in the 1750's.  His wife was the former Elizabeth McKie. 
They had a son, Alexander Baillie who was born about 1780.  I do not know if they had additional children.  Would appreciate any additional information.

Alexander Baillie married the former Jane Clark.
 Alexander and Jane Clark Baillie had at least one son, John Baillie, who was born about 1806. I do not know if there were other children from that marriage.  Alexander died about 1856.  I would welcome any additional details about this generation.

John Baillie, son of Alexander and Jane, married Elizabeth Agnew. They had at least 7 children.  Peter, born 1844; James born 1847; Alexander born 1852; John born 1850 but died early; Elizabeth born 1854; Robert born 1855 but died early; Robert born 1857.  In 1861, they all resided at Alsia Green in Penninghame.

This is about all of the information that I have.  Any other details regarding the 3 generations would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you
Baillie

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Baillie; Alexander Baillie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 07 00:37 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

wonder if you have census details?

1851 census- grange, penninghame

john...age 42...farm lab
margaret...age 34
peter...age 7
james...age 4
john...age 1
alexander...father...age 71...farm labourer...born ireland

now it seems that they had a son born 31/5/1855 called robert, if i was you i would go and look at the birth details on the sp site as they will contain a wealth of info regarding the family..

they had a son called alexander born c1860, he married helen kelly on the 29/12/1875 in stoneykirk.

alexander and helen had a son called robert alexander born c1880, seems he married in manhattan, new york on the 10/10/1908 to myra isabel hutchinson.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline rebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 07 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Jpe,
 Thank you.  This is the right family.  The Robert Baillie that you mentioned was my uncle who was also a very successful stone carver when he came to the USA.  His brother, John Baillie was my grandfather, also a stone carver.

Still trying to find more about the eldest Baillie.  I appreciate your information.

Bob Baillie
Baillie

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 07 22:29 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

1841 census- grange of bladnock

alexander...age 60...farm labourer
jean...age 65

it appears your jane was born scotland c1776 so it might be possible to trace back her family in scotland but regarding your baillie's pal, you will have to visit the irish boards.

wonder if this is yours?

1871 census- high blair, sorbie (lodging)

john...age 64...mason

also this one...

1881 census- gertrude cottage, penninghame

alexander...age 28
helen k...age 24...born glasgow
mary h...age 4
john...age 2
robert a...age 5 months.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline rebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 07 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Joe,
 Yes, the residents of Gertrude Cottage are my relatives.  In fact, my great grandfather commissioned this cottage and lived in it for 10 years.  I have digital photos of it.....it is still occupied today.   I was not aware that Helen Kelly Baillie was born in Glasgow.    I think she might have been illegitimate since I can find reference to her mother, Mary Kelly, but not her father

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Baillie