Author Topic: David Ferguson  (Read 3177 times)

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Ferguson
« on: Thursday 15 November 07 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace David Ferguson who was born around 1886 (ish)  possibly in Buteshire.  Most of his early life I am lead to believe, however he lived in Argyllshire.  He was married in Oban in 1923 to Mary ann McInnes but I can't seem to trace him even from his parents names on the marriage cert.  Can anyone else help?  Many thanks!

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: David Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 November 07 23:21 GMT (UK) »
What are the parents' names given on the marriage certificate?

ADP

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 07 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Jan

Not finding a birth for him on Scotland's People in either Argyll or Bute. Have you tried 1901 census to see where family lived at that time ?

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 07 01:10 GMT (UK) »
ADP

Sorry should have said parents are Duncan and Catherine (MS Campbell)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 07 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking ADP and Ann.  Sorry this message went to my bulk folder so I have only just found it!  Yes,  I believe his parents were Duncan Ferguson and Catherine Campbell.  Around 30 years ago a family member bought an extract of the 1891 census at Register House which placed a 7-year old David Ferguson at Kilmartin.  (Not sure why they did this!) However, this makes my task even more confusing as his parents are not named.  I am not convinced that this is my Grandad but not sure where to look next. 
I have just looked on the back of the Census sheet which has some numbers on it.  Printed is 102 and then written in pencil 118/110    Below this in pencil D.H.S.  16/6/1884.  This looks like his birthdate - I cant believe I havent seen this before.  What does D.H.S mean?

Thanks for helping.  I dont want anyone to spend credits/money on this.  I'm happy to do that if someone can point me in the right direction!!

Thanks
Jan

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 07 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I see the 1891 entry that you refer to. I know you have it yourself, but I'll post it just in case it helps others!

Address: Ford, Kilmartin, Argyllshire
Catherine Ferguson, f, head, 68, general labourer, Kilchrenan, Argyllshire
John ", m, son, 40, agricultural labourer, Kilmartin, Argyllshire
Christina ", f, g-dau., 18, general labourer's daughter, Kilmartin, Argyllshire
David ", m, g-son, 7, scholar, Buteshire
Catherine ", f, g-dau., 3, -, Lochgilphead, Argyllshire

I've traced the grandmother, Catherine, back. She was married to John Ferguson and they did have a son called Duncan. He was born 1857 in Kilninver And Kilmelford. I've only found him on the 1861 census. Do we have an occupation to track him through the others?

hume24

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 07 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for this.  I really appreciate it.  I'm afraid I have no other details.  But it looks quite likely, then that this is my 7 year old grandfather in Kilmartin, given that Catherine had a son called Duncan.  I'm left wondering where they were during the 1891 census.  Was it the case that you actually had to be in the house to be registered.  If that is so then they should be registered somewhere else..............  Its also odd that there seems to be no record of Davids birth or baptism.  Great news about Catherine and John though - Another name for me to find out about!
Thanks again,
Jan

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 07 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

You didn't have to be at home on the actual day of census but if you weren't should have been recorded at place where you were. So if visiting grandma you'd be on hers as grandson/daughter.

Best wishes

Ann

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 07 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ann, It makes sense to think that he was just visiting.  I'll work on that assumption and continue to look for his parents!
Regards,
Jan