Author Topic: New topic stemming from an old one. Evans family. Gaerwen  (Read 8003 times)

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
New topic stemming from an old one. Evans family. Gaerwen
« on: Thursday 15 November 07 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks, a while ago I posted a request for information relating to Catherine Evans ( maiden name) my maternal Gt Grandmother, I realised that she always gave the name Gaerwen,Anglesey on most census this quickly became transcribed as Carwen.

After a lot of research I have now found her on the 1851 census for Llanfinhangel Esciefiog, Gaerwen as a 6 yr old with her family , plus her brother Richard Evans who is shown as a young widower aged 28 yrs. This age difference had always led me to believe they were father and daughter as they were shown in the 1861 census for Liverpool. but the 1881 census for Liverpool showed Richard as brother-in-law to Catherine's husband.

The thing is that having found the family on the 1841 and 1851 for Gaerwen, with a lot of other siblings the family seemed to have dissapeared in later census for the area. Her father was a collier as were two of her brothers, can anyone  please tell me what coal mines were in the area, was it mines or opencast, or did that sort of mining come later? they seem to be a bit far away on the map for Parys mountain and I feel if they were mining copper they would not have been called colliers.

the 1841 census shows

William Evans 35 yrs collier
Ellin wife 40 yrs
Richard 15 yrs collier
Owen  14 yrs collier
William  11 yrs
Zadrach 9 yrs
Mesach 9 yrs
Thomas 6 yrs
Evan 4 yrs
Ellin 11 months

the 1851 census shows

William Evans head, age 49 yrs Collier b. Llandaniel
Eleanor Evans, wife, age 50 yrs b. Newborough
Richard Evans, son, widower age 28 Collier, b Llanfinhangel
Evan Evans, son age 14 yrs , Collier
Eleanor Evans, daughter age 10 yrs b. Llanfinhangel
Catherine Evans, daughter age  6 yrs b. Llanfinhangel

We seem to be missing at least 5 children on this census.
If any one is researching the Evan's  name in Anglesey, would you be kind enough to see if you have any matches.
I would like to Thank everyone who in the past helped me with such good info, hope I have as much luck with this request, cheers Liverbirds
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline graf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: New topic stemming from an old one. Evans family. Gaerwen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 07 17:16 GMT (UK) »
There has been coal mining around the edges of the Malltraeth marsh for centuries
but the draining of the marsh by 1812 allowed tunnels and shafts to be constructed
near Pentre Berw in Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog. Penrhyn mawr for example was
leased by some Denbighshire men in 1831 and was the nearest to Gaerwen,
but by 1860 many of these mines got into difficulties because of flooding and some
of the miners left to work in the coal mines of Denbighshire and Flint.

Since Eleanor Evans was born about 1800 at Newborough, I checked the
Bishops transcript and the best matches I could find were:

Baptd Elin Dr: of John Jones Tirforgan and Mary his wife June 10th 1799
Baptd Ellin Dr of Michael Owen Labr & Elizabeth March 12th 1800
Baptd Elin Dr of Robert Roberts Labr and Sara his Wife Mar: 1st 1801
Baptd Elin Dr of Thomas Roberts fynon wen & Elizth wife Decr 13th 1801

I also looked for a marriage, and found:

Marriage Williams Evans of Llangeinwen to Ellinor Owen 8 April 1822 at Newborough

but these are not very convincing. Your Eleanor used none of the parents names
for her children and the 1851 census claims William was born in Llanddaniel.

Bob

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 November 07 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob, thank you for so much information on the mining that took place in Anglesey and the interest that you took in my family with your searches, I have found it difficult to pinpoint where any mining would have taken place, but now I have an area close by the family. When the mines flooded were there any mining accidents because of this problem? I only ask, as five of the boy's shown on the 1841 census are missing on the 1851 census and I have not been able to get any information on the family in later census i.e 61/71/81 apart from my Great Grandmother Catherine and her brother Richard.
Once more Bob thanks for your hard work with the bishops transcript everything is very much appreciated, cheers Liverbirds
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline graf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 07 16:56 GMT (UK) »
There was an accident at Berw colliery in 1847, as mentioned
in http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=121&posts=10

Bob

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 07 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bob for that link, so much to digest. cheers Liverbirds

Offline glen o

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 December 07 11:55 GMT (UK) »
hi are your your family from near llangefni  anglesey big family called evans lived there when i was a girl yours glen o ;)
owen and  williams   anglesey          brooks lancs  sporston cheshire

Offline westdav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 January 08 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this links in with my interest of Evans and Gaerwen? My great great grandmother was Elizabeth Evans, daughter of Richard. She was baptised in Gaerwen Calvinistic Methodist chapel on 29 August 1813. Her son Richard Cadwaladr Griffith and her grandaughter Elizabeth Jane Griffith were both married in the same chapel. Richard Evans, as far as I can tell, was an agricultural labourer who, in 1841, was living in Heneglwys not far away. Elizabeth married Evan Griffith in Llangefni parish church on 12 Nov 1839. I have not been able to find Richard or his wife (Catherine Williams) after 1841.

Wynne

Offline donnap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 March 15 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liverbirds, I was wondering if you knew the maiden name of Ellin Evans that you mentioned in the 1841 census? I have an ancestor, William Evans, whose parents were William and Ellen/Ellin Evans, miners, he would have been 11/12 yrs in 1841. Donna. 

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 15 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, not much help for you I believe Ellen was formerly Owen but still working on it. good luck with yours.