Author Topic: Name interests in Norfolk  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Suzi

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Name interests in Norfolk
« on: Thursday 30 December 04 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Just adding my surname interests in Norfolk in case anyone wants to share information:
BUTCHER
D'ORR/DORR/DOY/DAW
EWIN
GOODALE
HALL
HARPER
SYER
TOOK
Mainly in Gately, but also Mitford, North Elmham and Grimstone.

Thanks for taking the time to read through ;)
Barnes/London 
Brook/Sussex
Danaher/Ireland and London 
Dent/London 
Dorr/Norfolk and London 
Holmes/Kent and London
Isham/Northampton 
Sargent/London
Sears/Middlesex 
Speller/Essex and London 
Stiles/Styles/Wiltshire and London 
Tapster/Hertford
Ward/London 
Watson/Essex

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Name interests in Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 04 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I live just outside Dereham and belong to the Mid Norfolk Family History Society which is very active in the area ten miles radius of Dereham.  We have transcribed lots of registers and MIs.

If you are miles away from Norfolk perhaps we can help?

Teddybear :)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Suzi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 04 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your response - I live in Berkshire so do not have local Norfolk information or facilities to draw on.   I am sure any help you or your colleagues can give me would be invaluable.

My main interest is the Dorr [+vars] family, mainly from Gately.   I have visited the village, but was unable to gain access to St. Helen's.   The other surnames listed in my original posting have married into the family.

One of the main stumbling blocks is Anthony Dorr.   He seems to pop up in a variety of places, has several wives, and an unclear birthdate and spelling of surname.   His baptism is shown as N Elmham 1789 under Dou or Daw.   However, I feel he could have been born as early as 1761, or even 1756, unless this was his father who was also Anthony.   

Church records show a burial for Anthony Doy 12 May 1844 - aged 88 - at Gately.

Anthony snr married Sarah Butcher in 1788 in Gately.   Sarah died in 1801 and Anthony remarried, or rather banns were called in Gately though no marriage seems to be recorded.   The new 'wife' was Rose Ewin, although another record shows Anthony Dorr, widower of Gateley, marrying Rose Drew in 1803 in Fakenham.

It seems Anthony and Sarah had three children in N Elmham:  Anthony Dou [1789], John Daw [1792] and Mary Doy [1794] before moving to Gately where they had Charles Daw [1800].

A little confusing all round methinks!   So if you have anything to add to make the line a little clearer, it would be wonderful.   
 :-\     
Barnes/London 
Brook/Sussex
Dent/London 
Dorr/Norfolk and London 
Holmes/Kent and London
Isham/Northampton 
Sargent/London
Sears/Middlesex 
Speller/Essex and London 
Tapster/Hertford
Ward/London 
Watson/Essex

Offline charlie55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 05 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I was interested to see the name SYER among your interests. One of my ancestors was given this unusual name as a christian name - I had not even heard of it as a surname before, and I suspect as I go furher that there will be a connection. A mystery cleared up, I think.

Offline Suzi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 05 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

In my case the name SYER is a strange one!   The lady in question was born c1812 in Gately and I have found her listed with two names - Mary Took and Mary Syer.   I'm of the belief that father was James Took and mother was Anne Syer, so maybe Mary was given her mother's surname as a christian name.   I need to delve a little deeper here!
 ;)
Barnes/London 
Brook/Sussex
Dent/London 
Dorr/Norfolk and London 
Holmes/Kent and London
Isham/Northampton 
Sargent/London
Sears/Middlesex 
Speller/Essex and London 
Tapster/Hertford
Ward/London 
Watson/Essex

Offline JenGen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 October 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
I have a William Syer (also spelt Syre in some records) who married into my Carman family. He married Margaret Carman 25th December 1862 at Swainsthorpe, Norfolk.

Happy to compare notes.

Offline Suzi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi!

As I said previously, a strange one!   I have a Mary Took or Mary Syer born c1812 in Gately.   I believe her parents to be James Took born c 1777 Grimstone;  died 1858 Mitford, and Anne Syer born 31 March 1797 Langham.

I have Anne's parents as Edmund and Elizabeth Seyer.

Mary married Robert D'Orr on 29 January 1833 in Gately.   I have their eldest child as being born in Gately, but by 1838 they were living in London [Marylebone].

Does any of this tie in with your findings?

???
Barnes/London 
Brook/Sussex
Dent/London 
Dorr/Norfolk and London 
Holmes/Kent and London
Isham/Northampton 
Sargent/London
Sears/Middlesex 
Speller/Essex and London