Author Topic: Wright  (Read 8213 times)

mandyfahey

Wright
« on: Saturday 17 November 07 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looking to find the parents of John Wright born 1826 Beddington Northumberland, died Wales 1875.
John was married to Margaret Shuttleworth born Loughborough, Cumberland.

Thanks for any help. Which will be gratefully recieved.

Regards
Mandy

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Wright
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 07 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mandy

Lots of John Wrights in 1841, I see he was already married by 1851 (birthplace will probably be Bedlington) and living in Wales then, do you have his marriage certificate showing his father's name and occupation?

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

mandyfahey

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 07 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I only have the following information

From free BMD site - Marriage June 1844- John Wright and Margaret Shuttleworth. Keighley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

From a census they had the following children
Elizabeth 1845 Durham
John 1847
Thomas 1850 Gateshead
William 1852 Gateshead
Robert 1867 Saltney Flintshire - married Mary Thomas in 1883 in Hawarden.- This is were the connection links to my husbands family.

John Wright senior appears to have an occupation on 1881 census as smoker ???????

Many thanks
Mandy

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 07 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Wonder what they were doing getting married in Keighley, just en route to Wales? They seem to have gone up and down a bit, son John b. 1849 & Thomas 1850 Gateshead, 1851 living in Wales, William b. 1852 Gateshead  ???

Are you sure about the marriage? Do you have Robert's birth cert 1867 to confirm mother's maiden name as Shuttleworth?
You may need to buy the marriage cert to at least find John Wright's father's name and occupation.

John Wright senior appears to have an occupation on 1881 census as smoker ???????
Which John Wright is this? You said your John died in 1875

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

mandyfahey

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 07 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara
I am so confused

I worked back from my husbands grandmother Agnes Wright born 1877 Hawarden, Flintshire (she marrie Richard Bell also born Hawarden Flintshire)
her parents were Robert Wright ( born in Saltney, Flintshire) he married Mary Thomas in Hawarden 1883. Here is where the confusion may begin- according to 1881 Census Robert Wright was born in 1860 (occupation Chain Stoker) (His mothers name is Margaret). In the 1891 Census he was born in 1863 (occupation Coal Miner). I then have an 1871 Census stating that Robert Wrights father was John Wright (born around 1826 in Beddington, but he is living in Saltney, Flintshire). There is no occupation noted on this. His wife is Margarett (born in Loughborough, Cumberland). On an 1871 Census from Saltney it has his occupation as a 'smoker (not sure what the next word is) it also states on this census that their sons William was born in Gateshead (Gateshences Durham is what it says) it is difficult to see his age as it has a line through, Also their son Robert born inSaltney. The daughter Elizabeth does not appear on these censuses, again oinformatio from a contact. I thought that maybe she had married and stayed in Durham?
Now the Shuttleworth- I got this information from a person who appears to be connected through William and Robert.
I am sorry but I missed typed the census date. it is 1871 not 1881 where John Wright was employed as the 'Smoker (something)

Is any of this making sense to you. I have tried to keep it is some sort of order.

Thanks again
Mandy

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 07 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mandy

We all get confused, don't worry!!  You seem to have done well so far.

I've looked at the 1871 census and although the writing isn't good, I'm fairly sure it gives 'Anchor Smith' for John's occupation, with dittos for William, who is 19, and born Gateshead. Robert is 11.  There are other anchor smiths on the same page. Some of the 'Scholars' on the page look like Smokers though! Longtown Cumberland for Margaret's birthplace.

Will have a look at the other census shortly
Barbara

mandyfahey

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 November 07 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Barbara
many thanks again, this looks so easy and then there is an information overload.

Very much appreciate your help.

Mandy

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 November 07 20:32 GMT (UK) »
1851:
HO107/2172 fol.857 p.25  Saltney Station
John Wright head mar 24 Labourer  Northumberland
Margaret  "   wife mar  31                Cumberland Longtown
Elizabeth  "    dau         5  Scholar     Durham Gateshead
John         "    son          2                          "          "
Thomas    "      "            9 months              "          "
Stephen Copeland visitor m 34 Labourer   "      Swalwell
Adam Henderson      "    wid. 56 Smith       "     Gateshead

1861 RG9/2634 fol.20 p.36  Roberts's Row, Saltney
John Wright  head mar 34  Anchor Smith Northumberland
Margaret  "   wife   mar 41                              Cumberland
John         "   son          13  Scholar                 Durham
William     "      "             8        "                          "
Robert      "      "             1                               Flint, Saltney

so Elizabeth and Thomas are missing from 1861, will look for them next
Barbara

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 November 07 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Haven't been able to find Elizabeth or Thomas in 1861, they may have died.

I did find a marriage for a John Wright to a Margaret Speed
June Qu 1845 Gt. Boughton 19/21  which is the registration district covering Saltney, and there's also a marriage for a John Wright in Gateshead in March Qu 1844 24/105 with a Margaret Bland on the same page, both look more likely than the Keighley marriage.

I think the best thing would be for you to get Robert's birth certificate.  There is a possible, if you look on freebmd there's one in March 1860 at Gt.Boughton
Barbara