Author Topic: Advice on Stockport Resources Please  (Read 5985 times)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Stockport Resources Please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought Lesley and I’m not sure it will help but it might help to narrow things down a little bit.
 There should be a registration district on your father’s birth certificate e.g. Stockport First, Stockport Second or Bramhall.

Pat
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alli & Pat

Thanks for looking at the marriages, its appreciated. 

Pat, in answer to your question the registration district on my dad's birth certificate is Stockport Second.  I did contact the library and they say Mountfield Road, Bramhall did not exist in 1924 so the one you checked must be the right one.

We have also looked at the census for 1901 and the Thom family are listed at that address then as well, so it must have been the family home.  We are beginning to think the info on the certificate is false and that Phyllis and Mark were never married at all, especially having got a copy of Phyllis's death certificate which states she was the widow of James Manley-Smith.  My dad has not heard of him and we have been unable to find any trace of him either.

Over a period of time we have tried several searches for James Manley-Smith, but are unsure how to search for double barrelled names.  Any advice please?

Regards
Lesley

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

I’m not sure if we have a little bit more of a mystery now.
In 1901 Mountfield Road, Edgeley would have been in the district of Stockport First.
Stockport Second was on the other side of the town. That may have changed between 1901 and 1924 and I will check it out when I next visit the library.
You could try posting a look up for James Manley Smith. Do you have any more details for him? Is it a double-barrelled name or was Manley a middle name and do you have a location?
Perhaps someone else will be able to suggest something that might help.
Regards,
Pat.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 November 07 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

In 1901 Mountfield Road, Edgeley would have been in the district of Stockport First.
Stockport Second was on the other side of the town. That may have changed between 1901 and 1924 and I will check it out when I next visit the library.
You could try posting a look up for James Manley Smith. Do you have any more details for him? Is it a double-barrelled name or was Manley a middle name and do you have a location?
Regards,
Pat.

Hi Lesley,

Regards,
Pat.

Hi Pat

Yes it is getting more mysterious.  Unfortunately there is no more info on James Manley-Smith, we didn't know about him until receiving Phyllis's death certificate and the name is shown as a double-barrelled name and he was a master builder.  This the extent of our knowledge.

Regards
Lesley

Offline Frithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
.Practical Study Group textile artists and tutors: Sarah Burgess
... develops ideas from the historic glove making industry that flourished in Hyde. Sarah has worked with older glove makers from the area and incorporates their ...
www.practicalstudygroup.co.uk/members/sburgess/sburgess.html - 9k - Cached

found this. HYDE is almost next to Stockport and I know there was still a glove factory in the 1960s.
Two Births in Stockport for Lestrange. Ken Malcolm 1947 and Rosslyn 1951.
Shows you that the Lestrange were still around Stockport.
Joan
NELLIS.   NEALIS.   SCHOFIELD.   FRITH.   BARBER .  GODBEHERE. SHOOTER. STANWAY. WOODALL. ARNOLD. CARLIN

STOCKPORT. WIRKSWORTH. CHAPLE EN LE FRITH. HAZEL GROVE.

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 March 08 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan

Thanks for the information.  We had looked at Stockport about glovemaking, but did not know about Hyde, so that is another avenue to try.

Regards
Lesley