Author Topic: Help with a Mystery  (Read 5297 times)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Mystery
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 November 07 02:50 GMT (UK) »
without knowing the state they went to its a bit difficult. i had a look through the wa marriages and didnt see any for clara,walter or timothy.
this is the wa page for family history
http://www.wags.org.au/index.html
if you do find anything in wa i can allways pop in to the library to check more records for you

perth
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 November 07 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Christine,

Thanks for the bit about assisted passage. I will see what I can find out. I can't imagine this Agnes isn't there Agnes. There are records of her marriage and death. I did see that piece from the museum. It was added by the great-grandson of John Sr. He does not have a lot of the personal history of the Hayes family. When his grandmother died right after childbirth, John Jr. took the kids to his wife's sisters to be raised and then disappeared. So we are all working blind, but finding great clues.

Perth,

Thanks for the link and the offer. I have been playing on that site quite a bit lately, trying to find something. I might take you up on your offer.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 November 07 20:20 GMT (UK) »
http://www.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/GenResearch.html

Hello  ther Kath

this  is a  link  to  the MCB  Metropolitian Cemeteries Boar for  Perth
have a  browse  there  you  will  find  a  lot  of  Hayes buried

An  Agnes Hayes  is  there buried  in  1913  age  given  as 34 

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 November 07 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath

On http://www.wags.org.au/genisite.htm
there are lots of useful links - I would try the postal directories at the Battye library site.
http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/pdf/battye/pods/Post_Office_Directories_Contents.html

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 November 07 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I have no problem finding the people who I already know about. Surprise surprise. I feel like Timothy, Walter and Clara dropped of the face of the earth. I think maybe they weren't really Hayes but traveled as such. How easy would that have been, does anyone know. What kind of proof of identification did you need back then?

Thanks for these sites, though. I did find John Sr in a directory, and found a bunch of Hayes members. Agnes actually died in 1923. She married Robert Wainwright. I did find a Clara Jane Hayes on the cemetery site and the age could possibly work, if she never married. It had her born in 1874. How would I follow up on information I found there? Is there a way to find her parents names or if she was married? I've never ordered an Australian death cert if that is what I wold need to do.

Kath
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 November 07 22:26 GMT (UK) »
On the 1916 Electoral Rolls for Western Australia, there is Clara Jane Hayes listed at 7th Avenue Maylands, married.
Also at 7th Avenue Maylands is John Joseph Hayes, labourer and Rosie May hayes, domestic servant.

They also appear on later Electoral Rolls for WA.

The Electoral Rolls that are available are newly accessable on Ancestry. I've tried looking for your people but it is rather difficult, as there are so many Hayes.  :-\

.....dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 November 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Dee,

thanks so much. I would believe that is the Clara Jane I found, as the suburb of Maylands was listed for her. So she would not be my traveling girl. Yes there are a lot of Hayes. My dumb luck. And funny, all of John and Hannah's kids had middle names except John Jr., who disappeared around 1906 and no one has been able to track him down. I know his grandson has tried very hard, but try finding a John Hayes :P. I will have to spend some time looking at resources in other parts of Australia and see what I come up with. I know John and Hannah's daughters moved around Australia a bit, so I shouldn't assume anything.

Kath

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 19 November 07 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath
Caroline Hodson was Hannah's sister and I am not sure what became of her.
It looks like Caroline Hodson married William Birch in 1881 at Castle Town, St Andrew's Mission Chuch (St Thomas) Source is http://www.bmsgh.org/staffsbmd/index.html
It was June Qtr Stafford Registration District Vol 6b Page 7
It looks like they emigrated to Australia as there are Western Australian births as follows.
Surname Given Names Sex Father Mother Place of Birth Registration District Registration Number Registration Year   
BIRCH HAROLD WILLIAM HODSO  WILLIAM HODSON CAROLINE GUILDFORD  871 1889 order
BIRCH PERCY VINCENT  WILLIAM HODSON CAROLINE FREMANTLE  490 1892 order
BIRCH WILLIAM HARRY  WILLIAM HODSON CAROLINE FREMANTLE  448 1896 order
BIRCH VIOLET  WILLIAM HODGSON CAROLINE FREMANTLE  1418 1894 order
I'm wondering whether Walter, Clara & Timothy are in fact their children. It would be worth checking if William & Caroline Birch also travelled on the Chollerton. The passenger list may have only given the first names and the transcriber assumed that because they were with Agnes, it was Hayes.
One of the things I have seen on passenger lists are several siblings on the same line, and just the ages in the relevent columns. This could also explain why their ages are not given if the transcriber couldn't match names and ages.

Ancestry has now started to put Australian Electoral Rolls on line and in 1901, 1906 & 1916 William & Caroline Birch wer living at Harper St, Midland Junction, Western Australia

Andy

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 November 07 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Andy,

thanks for all of this. I woke up this morning to find this info and of course had to spent a couple hours researching things. I checked the BMDs and didn't find Walter, Timothy or Clara Birch all together to be them. I also found online a history written by an 80-year-old gentleman in 2003 and his stepfather was Percy Vincent Birch and he had two sons. I won't put their names here as they might still be alive. I also found deaths for the 3 boys, and also a William Hodson Birch, who might have been one of these boys sons (but not Percy's). And I found a marriage for Harold William Hodson to an Ivy Manuel. I have also forwarded this info on to Hodson descendants. I actually am not. I am from the Hayes side, my gg grandfather being John's brother. But I am fascinated and addicted anyway, and that is why I spent so much time researching someone else's family  :-[ ;D

And now I keep looking. Thanks so much for this. I know my Australian relatives are going to be thrilled with this info.

Best,
Kath