Author Topic: Fahy- Kiggins  (Read 3185 times)

mandyfahey

Fahy- Kiggins
« on: Sunday 18 November 07 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I now have the following information about the Fahy family from Feigh, Co Galway.

John Fahy married Mary Kiggins in 1900, Abbeyknockmoy, Co. Galway
John Fahy and Mary Kiggins parents were William Fahy and Patrick Kiggins + Bridget Carrol.
I have found an entry on the IGI (www.familysearch .org) that a William Fahy married a Bedulia Gunter.
Can anyone shed any light? Are these the parents of John Fahy. They apparently married in Loughrea.

Thank you in advance

Mandy Fahey 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fahy- Kiggins
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 07 10:45 GMT (UK) »
You don't give any dates for the marriage of William & Bedulia so it's difficult to give an exact answer. Getting the marriage certificate will not prove they are the corect parents.
If John Fahy was born after civil registration of births started in 1864 you should be able to get his birth certificate which will list the names of both his father and mother (marriage only gives father's name). If John Fahy was born before 1864 or his birth was not registered/can't be found it is possible that there might be a baptism record which might lists both parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

mandyfahey

« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 07 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This has been a backward search from my fahter-in-law John Fahy born 1911 in Feigh, Co. Galway.
I am not sure when John Fahy was born, only that he married Mary Kiggins in 1900, Abbeyknockmoy. His father was noted as William Fahy on the certificate. So it was a long shot when I fgound the info about Budelia Gunter and William Fahy. I think a trip to Dublin to the Records offfice may be what is needed

Thank you for your help

Mandy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 07 20:26 GMT (UK) »
There might be various people with the same names and ages in the civil records. You might need to check the church records to verify that you have the correct family.

mandyfahey

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey

I have trawled every site I know on the net and still no luck. I can only guess that John Fahy senior was born around 1870 (ish), ( a farmer from Feigh, Abbeyknockmoy, Galway) so if I am correctly guestimating the birth dates of his father William would be around 1820(ish). So possible marriage around 1865- 1870 for William and Budelia.

This is all supposition at this time and it is driving me mad.

Thanks for you help

Mandy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I can only guess that John Fahy senior was born around 1870 (ish), ( a farmer from Feigh, Abbeyknockmoy, Galway) so if I am correctly guestimating the birth dates of his father William would be around 1820(ish). So possible marriage around 1865- 1870 for William and Budelia.
Not sure how you came up with possible birth c1820 for William (based on age at death?, gravestone?) but if it's around that date William could have been married 1841ish & onwards. Think it's difficult to estimate birth years of 2 generations (John and father William).
If the John Fahy-Budelia Gunter marriage is correct she could also be listed in other records as Delia.

mandyfahey

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am sorry about my last post, I was trying to guess ages etc and I have clearly gone right down the wrong track. :-[ :-[

I will try and find Delia instead of Budelia. There was a daughter of John Fahy and Mary Kiggins called Delia, whom I believe remained in Feigh, Abbeyknockmoy, Co Galway. Other siblings i know of marie- immigrated to Boston USA, Ann, Eileen, Jim and JOhn all immigrated to England.

Thank you for your help agian.

mandyfahey

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 September 08 18:17 BST (UK) »
great break through.  ;D

Following a link on the East Galway Family history site I gained access to birth, marriage and death certificates and census info.
I have now traced the Fahy / Kiggins family back to my husbands Great Great Grandfather, DAVID FAHY.

I have also been in contact with some of his cousins who still live in the area and one cousin who still lives in the family home.

Thanks to all who have also helped me on this quest.

M