Author Topic: Traynor/Trainor. Ballymoney/Ballycastle, Antrim  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Sean T Traynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ramoan Roots and more
    • View Profile
Traynor/Trainor. Ballymoney/Ballycastle, Antrim
« on: Thursday 25 March 04 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Any one with interest in Trainor/Traynor in North Antrim. Known to be in Leck, Ballymoney around 1900, later in Prolusk 1905, Coolkenny 1930. Married a Jane Kirkwood of Glenone. Also McDade of Carnsampson and McShafery.
Traynor/Trainor, McDade, Kirkwood, McSheffrey County Antrim.
Stewart of Carndaisy, McKee and Warnock of Armaghbrague, Nummey, McKee of Newry,  Jemphrey Bessbrook -Belfast, Dolan,Mulvanny, Boylan and Walsh of Ardbraccan, Navan. McMaster, McKelvey of Comber, Belfast and Greencastle. McClean of Whitehouse. Welsh/Walsh Newtownards, Belfast.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Traynor/Trainor. Ballymoney/Ballycastle, Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 04 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sean

Are you doing a One Name Study on the entire family name or are you just after information on these particular individuals?  :)

If the latter is the case I will gladly move the post for you to a more relevant board which may help to generate a response for you.   Please let me have any information on possible locations (County etc.) so I can place it in the right board.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sean T Traynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ramoan Roots and more
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Ticker, I am particularly interested in the individuals mentioned, my enquiries focus around Ballymoney and Ballycastle, County Antrim and around Articlave and Portglenone, County Derry. also Port Glasgow and Milngavie in Scotland

Regards

Sean T Traynor
Stewart of Carndaisy, McKee and Warnock of Armaghbrague, Nummey, McKee of Newry,  Jemphrey Bessbrook -Belfast, Dolan,Mulvanny, Boylan and Walsh of Ardbraccan, Navan. McMaster, McKelvey of Comber, Belfast and Greencastle. McClean of Whitehouse. Welsh/Walsh Newtownards, Belfast.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 04 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sean

I'll move the thread to the County Antrim Board then and see how it goes.  Hope that's OK with you.

Good luck in your research.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sean T Traynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ramoan Roots and more
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 04 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that will be great. If I have positive feedback I will let you know.

Regards

Sean T Traynor

Offline FionaLorraine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Sean I have now researched my Trainor family - at least I've started it since you last contacted me.  Just to tell you that I've documented a lot of it.  My family of Trainors are the ones linked to the grave in Larne.  They were connected to the Finnegan family and maybe to the McAleavey family - I suspect they may be originally from around Co Monaghan - there are not very many in Larne and those that are are probably all linked to mine.  Michael born early 1800s was a witness on a birth with a McDade by the way.  One of the children had Campbell as a middle name and Magills and McCormacks are appearing as witnesses.  Some of my Trainors went to Maryhill Glasgow.  Some married McAnallys and some McFalls.  One was a marine firefighter.

I don't know if you've looked at these Traynors/Trainors in Larne?  If you think you may be connected I can give you more information.

Fiona
Palmer Website: www.davyboynorth.f2s.com/SamPalmer/00]SamPalmerStory.asp
Palmers, Barrs and McGarrys from Antrim/Ballyrobin/Muckamore/Crumlin
McAleaveys from Forkhill Co Armagh and then Whitewell/Glengormley
Traynors/Trainor from Larne then Whitewell/Glengormley also Glasgow

Offline Sean T Traynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ramoan Roots and more
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorraine, I have not got round to much more research since We last messaged. I have presumed that the Larne Trainor's are likely to be related to the Ballymoney Trainors.
Last October I visited a Willie John Trainor who remembered his father talking about my Grandfather and indicated that he referred to them as being cousins. I also called at The Traynor's form Friary (Loughiel) who do not believe themselves to be related to the Ballymoney Trainor's, but with the Loughiel Traynor's there is a definite familial likeness, so at this stage I would think they are.
I also found why I hadn't traced my McDades on the 1901 census at Ballycastle, in the PRO, I located them at the known homestead of Carnsampson spelt as McDeade.

Glasgow has been mentioned, especially with the Campbell link, particularly Port Glasgow. But my father long maintained that there were Traynor relatives in Milngavie or Kirkintilloch, I am not sure if Maryhill is near these.

Nice to hear from You,

Regards

Sean T

Offline FionaLorraine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 March 06 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Oops!  Trying to post photographs that are too large!

Offline FionaLorraine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 March 06 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sean on the 1951 Census in Larne it says that my Michael was born in Co Armagh.

Please find attached a photograph of James Traynor/Trainor.  His mother died when he was young and he was brought up by cousins in the Whitewell area of Glengormley/Belfast.  He worked as a quarryman.  It as probably for Agnews Lime Works near Belfast Zoo.  I have attached a photograph of him and the men.  These men may include an Adam Finnegan and a Nathaniel McRoberts as they were also quarymen at the time.  An Adam Finnegan looked after James.  There were two Adam Finnegans here.  One was blinded - probably in a quarry explosion and was generally known as blind Adam.

If anyone knows who else is in the photograph please contact me.