Author Topic: A Little Help Needed Please.  (Read 2668 times)

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
A Little Help Needed Please.
« on: Monday 19 November 07 10:38 GMT (UK) »
First of all thanks for viewing this thread.As l have stated in my heading,l am requiring a little help.In locating the birth of my Great Grandmother.
  Her name was Mary Smith,b c1889,as she was 25 yrs old in 1914 according to her marriage cert.Also on that cert it gives her  father, William Smith as being a labourer.
    My grandfather who was born at the Workhouse,Louth Lincolnshire in 1913,and on his birth cert the address is given as 1 High Holme Road,Louth.
     What l think l am hoping for,is that somebody could,while they are the Lincolnshire archives have a look in the workhouse books to see if there is anything that could help me in finding out more about my Mary Smith.
      Again thankyou for viewing this thread.

Kind Regards
                                  B.Archer
Archer(Lincolnshire)Foat(Lincolnshire,Kent),Thatcher(Manchester),Smith(Nottinghamshire).

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Help Needed Please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 07 11:32 GMT (UK) »
hi
do you have any other info at all to go on?
do you know where mary was born? and sibling names ?
in deed anything however slight that might help us find your mary?
i can see no obvious mary smith in lincolnshire with a father william on the 1901 cencus
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 07 11:54 GMT (UK) »
l havnt got anything on any siblings.Im sorry,but all l know is what l have put on the thread.Thanks for looking.And being of help.

Kind Regards
                       B.Archer
Archer(Lincolnshire)Foat(Lincolnshire,Kent),Thatcher(Manchester),Smith(Nottinghamshire).

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 07 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Just a little thing,that l have just remembered,is what we were told as youngsters.That Mary Smith was christened in Southwell Cathedral,and that she came from a Gypsy family.
How all true this is,l dont know,as l find it a bit hard too realise how gypsys,could afford at that time too have children christened.

Kind Regards
                                         B.Archer

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 07 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi wizz
she wasnt in the workhouse on the 1901 census as have just checked High Holme Road

only Smiths in there was a
Sarah Ann Smith mar aged 31
and further down the page
Thomas Smith aged 3
all from Louth

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 07 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ricky,

So l am looking between 1901 and 1913,to find when she went into the
workhouse,in Louth.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 07 12:36 GMT (UK) »
hi wizz

Looks that way, as she aint in there on the 1901, so that narrowed it down a bit. I suppose you mean the Southwell in Nottinghamshire where she was christened. If she do come from a gypsy family she will take some finding , as I come from a gypsy family and have the same problem trying to find a certain member of mine ???

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 07 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes thats correct Southwell cathedral Nottinghamshire.As l said,how true she came from a Gypsy family,l dont know.
   So l presume she could be in the 1891 census,although as its been suggested,Smiths a fairly common surname,and if she did come from a gypsy family,thats going to make it more difficult.
     Thats one of the reasons l intially asked for help regarding the workhouse census,that is at the archives in Lincoln.

Kind Regards
                                       B.Archer