Author Topic: Looking for anyone with a 'WINDMILL' link  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Riverplace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for anyone with a 'WINDMILL' link
« on: Thursday 30 December 04 23:39 GMT (UK) »
looking for anyone who has a WINDMILL surname in thier family (or tree)

E-mail address removed to prevent spam

thanks

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for anyone with a 'WINDMILL' link
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 04 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Riverplace,

Are you looking for all "Windmills" in Staffordshire?

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Riverplace,

The 1881 Census shows 62 "Windmills" living in Staffordshire but it does look like the family originates from Somerset which shows 66 for the census.

Buckinghamshire shows 60 and then Middlesex shows 51 which looks like the family is moving outwards from Somerset.

In all there were about 480 "windmills" in the 1881 census.

Sheep
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline lee1800

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I have a John WIndmill who married Ann Unknown. Their children are Mary 26 June 1773  & Thomas 10Sept 1780. There is probably more but at this stage I cannot find them. They were both born in Ivinghoe Buckinghamshire. Thomas married Elizabeth Wright TAme of Potsgrove, where the next generations of my family come from.
Any help is appreciated

Lee
KIMBER, KIRK, POCKNALL, DAWSON, WINMILL, BIRD, PYKE

Offline Riverplace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 14:33 GMT (UK) »
mine are mainly arround kingswindford - starts with robert who married susanna with children Mary 1847, elizabeth 1836 and george 1839

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ivinghoe WINDMILLs parish register lookup please
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 02:28 BST (UK) »
I have a John WIndmill who married Ann Unknown. Their children are Mary 26 June 1773  & Thomas 10Sept 1780. There is probably more but at this stage I cannot find them. They were both born in Ivinghoe Buckinghamshire. Thomas married Elizabeth Wright TAme of Potsgrove, where the next generations of my family come from.
Any help is appreciated

Lee

Hi,
I am new to this board and have just found this post. The John and Ann mentioned in the quote above, and their son Thomas (and his wife Elizabeth) are my direct ancestors too. I have been searching for information on John Windmill but to no avail. His son Thomas moved to Potsgrove, Bedfordshire where he married Elizabeth Wright Thame, as Lee has mentioned above. We have been able to trace many of the descendents of Thomas.

But it is his dad, John that is prooving elusive. I have had no luck with the ancestry message boards, as virtually no-one is looking for Windmills. Does anyone on here have access to Ivinghoe parish records, that we might be able to find a marriage for John to Ann? (btw the dates that Lee has given above for Thomas and Mary are the baptism dates not the birth dates). Or can anyone check the original entry for the baptisms of both Mary Windmill and Thomas Windmill, so that we might be able to verify the IGI info on their baptisms? Also I have found two possible marriages for a Mary Windmill in Ivinghoe, both to William Bates, one dated 12/1/1791 and the other dated  28/2/1791. Both entries are form submitted by a member of the LDS, so would anyone be able to check these and verify her father's name at least so we can see if there is a link.

I know that there are many Windmills to be found in and around Ivinghoe, and have even wondered if their name originates from the Pitstone windmill (which is right next to Ivinghoe), said to be the oldest post mill in the UK (dates from 1625 or earlier) pictured below.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
Kind regards
Happy Flowergirl.

Offline ColinEd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 07 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

Having branched out from researching my paternal lineage (French Hugenouts ... now who do I support when England play France at rugby?  ;) )

I have moved onto my maternal side and found numerous branches and 1st/2nd marriages and have come across an "Annie Windmill" of Great Barford, Bedfordshire for whom I have a copy of a marriage certificate from 26th February 1916 where she married Joseph Oliver Woods a widower aged 35 in Felixtowe Suffolk whilst he was a Private in the 3rd Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment.
The certificate gives Annies age as 36 (born @ 1880) and a "spinster" whose father was William Windmill of profession "Baker" from Great Barford, Bedfordshire.

I also have both of their death certificates and Jospeh died aged 73 on the  30th October 1956 in Haslingfield, Cambridgeshire from prostate cancer.
His wife died a few months before him aged 77 years on the 4th of June 1956 from pulmonary tuberculosis.

There is an age discrepancy as at their wedding Joseph was 1 year younger than Annie however their death certificates make Annie 4 years not 1 year older. 77 appears to be more correct and I will investigate more on the birth of Joseph....

Anyone with any information on the Windmills I would be grateful to hear from them.

Many thanks
Pettit - Suffolk
Woods - Cambridgeshire
Nightingale - Cambridgeshire
Papworth - Cambes + Essex

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 07 17:09 BST (UK) »
I have a Richard Higgs baptised 1726 Wavendon who was married 3 Mar 1749 Mary Windmill at Wavendon in Buckinghamshire.  Wavendon is about a dozen miles north of Ivinghoe, both on the Bedfordshire border.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrswoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 October 07 20:11 BST (UK) »
I have John Windmills going back to the 1600's in Rowley Regis Staffs.  mrswoman