Author Topic: Who do I believe?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Who do I believe?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 01:06 GMT (UK) »
The baptisms on freereg are transcribed, it may be a mistake, it's best if you can look at the actual parish register if at all possible. 
Re the death cert, the information on there is what the informant present at the death gives, so not always to be relied on either  ::)

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Who do I believe?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Bee,

The funeral home or cemetery record just might list the birth date that the person celebrated. 

It's always possible that the informant might have made a mistake, but you could compare it against the two dates you already have.

It's worth a try. 

My great-grandmother's baptismal record lists a different date of birth than her birth record.  The census gives a different date altogether. 

I never knew her but a cousin told me which date she celebrated as her birthday and it matched the birth record.  I also purchased her Social Security application form (American) and it gave the same birth date as her birth record. 

So, even without my cousin's info, I would have guessed that the priest or her mother made a mistake at the time of the baptism.  (My money's on the priest, LOL.)

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters