Author Topic: Annan - an elusive seaman  (Read 28804 times)

Offline binks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annan - an elusive seaman
« Reply #72 on: Friday 24 October 08 20:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir

My friend Vera  (details ofliving person removed) is the Gt Gt Granddaughter of John Elliot, Master mariner.
She has been researching for ages and is overjoyed at discovering, through me, more information, particul;arly about the ship Rifle.

I have printed off all 5 pages for her as although she is online she is not yet fully computer savvy.
regards
Brian Higgins
Higgins-Binks-Hardacre-Drinkwater-Wallace

Offline Fear na mara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 25 October 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
Spookie or what? I have been travelling for the past two months. Returned last night after midnight. Today, I have been remonstrating with a sulky dishwasher and a boiler throwing tantrums. So now, shortly before midnight, I dare to face the emails. Deleting all the offers and the chain-jokes (virals), I need to let a lot of people know that I ain’t dead yet. Then zing: up pops a smoke signal from Rootschat, the first wisp in six months and WOW – what a link.
It is just a few weeks short of the first anniversary of my appeal on Rootschat, and during the first six months, I have been linked with cousins in Canada (Merv, have you alerted Kathy to our new cousin?) and Scotland. Vera will be my first close cousin in England: just up the road really ( 200Kms).  May your glass never run dry Brian. You must warn Vera that 5 pages is just a smidgen – there is a lot more.

Elliot,  Baverstock,  Shennan, Glover, Radcliffe

Offline binks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 25 October 08 15:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir,
thank you for your response. i will be seeing Vera on Tuesday21/10 and will give her all the information along with a copy of your reply. i seem to have more luck with Veras` Genealogy than with my own.!
I will ask Vera if she would have any objection to using her Email address for correpondence, that is of course with your agreement.  I have no problem in disclosing mine which is [email removed - please use the private message system to share details - it prevents abuse]
thank you again

kind regards
Brian Higgins
Higgins-Binks-Hardacre-Drinkwater-Wallace

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 27 October 08 04:09 GMT (UK) »
great news Brian. Vera's going to have a wonderful read about the Sea Captain thanks to Eamonn's detective work.   i'll send you a personal email in a moment because i can't wait to learn how Vera is connected to us.

Merv
Scott-Traquair, Catslacknowe, Ashkirk, Sco
Stutt-Co Fermanagh and Tyrone, Ulster, NI
Newton-North Plantagenet(CAN), Ireland
Grieve-Roberton, Lilliesleaf Sco
Hodgins-Cloughjordan, Co Tipperary, Ire
Elliot-Canonbie, Bogra, Holmhead, Annan, Sco and Egremont Engl
Little-Canonbie Sco,  Kingsbridgeford, Thirlwall, Wallasey Eng
McAlister-Louth Co., Queen's Co. Ire
Smith-Whitehaven Eng

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi team,
It is a wonderful thing to have been involved in this thrilling tale.
The Sea Captain will be pleased, with the joining of family,    there,     and across the seas!
Ann will be relieved that she is now known to her descendants.
E,   you will handle your new extended family as you have so successfully handled the thousands of fortunates who have come under your guidance.
I have loved the educated hand.   The reason this flowed so well was you bought the necessary documents, pronto.  That was the secret to all flowing harmoniously.
I am thrilled to have been of assistance.
Joanne
:)

Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline Fear na mara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 06 November 08 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Days under dense, grey skys; chilling drizzle; dismay news of hard times and so on, as Alan Sherman sang to Mudda and Fadda the perils of Camp Grenada. Likewise, how things are transformed by news of a new relative - come on Vera, give us a wave. How the spirit rises at the sound of our beloved Kenjo. Great to hear your words again. It seems like summer never happened. Well, it didn't, did it. What a joy to back among our ain folk.
There is work to be done sorting so many files - Merv is a gleaming example  of diligent marshalling - but the temptation to follow the hunches and glimpses at the edge of vision will once again lure me into the labyrinth of archives. Yumme, can't wait.

Offline bill0765

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 16 March 09 01:03 GMT (UK) »
hi
my relative james clark b1836 in annan was a master mariner .his family is on the 1841 census .but not on other census .it might be useful to check at dumfries library of dumfries and galloway genealogists .

bill

Offline Fear na mara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 22:07 GMT (UK) »
There are more than 20 James Clark’s listed in the Index to Lloyds Captains Registers. Mostly Scots, but only one from Dumfries and his dob is given as 1838 and 1835. So Jamie’s handwriting might have been a wee bit fluid. He won his master’s Certificate in Shields in 1865. It was common for mariners to be awarded their ticket in their late twenties. He is listed in the registers between the years 1865 and 1872, but I do not have easy access to these – you would need to visit Greenwich. You would then know which ships he captained. But if you make the request ahead of your visit, there is a good chance that they will have his application forms for the mate’s and master’s exams. Then you would have a full list of his service from apprentice to master. Greenwich offer a postal service but there is a charge for that.
The 1841 census offers two James Clarks dob Annan at your date of 1836: the Miller’s son on North Street and Joseph, the cotton-weaver’s son at Hiltown. I have not found any trace in the Annan MIs. There are much sharper hunters who cruise these boards, far better qualified to hook your James, but they would be helped by having as much detail as you can muster.
Happy St Patrick's Day -well evening

Offline bill0765

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 02:58 GMT (UK) »
hi fear na mara
well james clark was my gggrandad born 4/4/1836 from sp .robert the miller was his dad and mum margaret weild .cant find his 9 brothers and sisters or parents after the 1841  census .i have his mariners record at shields.he drowned off lisbon in 1873 .
he wed elizabeth jane kell at blyth in 1861.at that time robert was a mason .dont know whether family moved to northumberland .can you get a list of masons .

bill