Author Topic: Link: Passenger Lists - Eastern Mainland Australia  (Read 48903 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Link: Passenger Lists - Eastern Mainland Australia
« on: Friday 31 December 04 06:48 GMT (UK) »
For those looking for shipping lists to Eastern Australia

1. My best site
Unassisted immigrants to Victoria
http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=23
Assisted British Immigrants
http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=24

Despite the "Victoria", I have found immigrants to Qld, NSW and Vic on these indexes.

2. For NSW immigrants
Mariners and Ships in Australian Waters
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au

I find this site hard to search/traverse, but is sometimes worth the effort.

3. For Qld immigrants

Very little online that I have found. Large card file at the Archives in Brisbane for anyone that lives nearby. - Apologies for this comment. The Qld archives have assisted immigrants index on line as PDF files at  http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Pages/Default.aspx (as advised by Wendy Mc - see below)

4. Post 1923

The Australian Government archives
http://www.naa.gov.au
Post WWII immigrants can often be found via the "record search". The archives also have an email query system (no charge for a brief search) which I have used successfully on 2 occasions. Takes about 30 days to get a reply. There is a charge if you want printed copies of any records found.

5. From Bill - see below (5 Feb 2005)
The NSW State Records office has, amongst other things, the assisted immigration records indexes for NSW available for on line searching at http://www.records.nsw.gov.au.  There are also some early VIC and QLD assisted immigration records from the periods before those areas were split off from NSW as separate colonies.

Select the "Indexes Online"  now under the "Archives" subheading and when you get to the page, look at the top for "Keyname Search" which will allow you to look for a name across all the on line records.  The search does accept wildcards.

6. From Wendy Mc  For those interested in Queensland shipping/passenger lists, try the following site:-

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/indexes.asp

THIS THREAD HAS NOW BEEN LOCKED  AS IT IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY.
PLEASE START A NEW TOPIC/THREAD FOR REQUESTS/QUERIES

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists - Eastern Mainland Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 05 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
This is my 400th post  8) and to celebrate it i'm looking for a favour!

Is CORIOLANA (Carol) facing a hopeless cause with her descendants who arrived in NSW from England in the 1850's and lived in Sydney/or suburbs of, she has a problem in that she doesn't know if her descendant is John O'Donnell or possibly James? At this moment in time she is looking for John O'Donnell with wife Mary O'Donnell (nee Bryant) and daughter Mary who arrived in Australia about 1856?.
I have tried to assist Coriolana but know nothing of what is available in Australia let alone Sydney!
I admit to picking on you as you seem to have knowledge of what is available and what isn't and it isn't totally unfair as we do let you win at cricket on a regular basis?
Carol (Coriolana) has just placed a lookup on this subject but thought that I would add to it with the info she sent me!

this is a PM that Carol had sent me as I have tried to assist in the past

I have Mary's marriage (1873 in Sydney) and death certificate (1911).  She married Duncan McPherson iin the Sydney CBD.  He was born in Scotland.  The seem to have lived in the Ultimo area (an inner sity suburb).  There is no Family History Group for the city of Sydney (which is quite odd).  All their kids were born in Sydney or Ultimo.  Mary died in Balmain (a suburb close to the city).  I am not sure that a census will tell me anymore than I already know.  Duncan was born in Dunbarton, Scotland and Mary was born in London, England.  The witnesses were Eliza and Thomas Swadling and I can find no connection to the family.  There are no parent's details on the marriage certificate.

Mary's death certificate states that her father John O'Donnell was a baker and her mother was Mary Bryant, she was born in London and had been in the colony for 55 years.  Her son Colin McPherson was the informant.  He was living at Rozelle a suburb next to Balmain.

All these locations are within miles of the Sydney CBD. 

There is no indication that her father was a convict.  I have scoured all the convict sites here.  I have 13 in the family.  Transportation to Sydney ceased in 1840 so I doubt that John was a convict.

I have not been able to find any siblings for Mary at this stage.  I would assume that if she had any that they would have been born in the UK.

I have followed up on where she is buried.  Her parents are not with her.  She died in 1911 in a Hostel at Balmain.  She is buried with her daughter Flora, Flora's husband and her son Duncan.  The grave has a concrete edge and an urn in the centre but no headstone.

Mary's husband, Duncan McPherson arrived in Australia in 1844 with his parents and siblings.  He was 2 years old.  The McPherson's also lived in the Ultimo area.  He died in an asylum in 1909 from senile decay and is buried with some other person who I assume is a fellow inmate of the Asylum.  The grave is in a cemetery near the Asylum, but it is also a public cemetery.  The grave is not marked.

That's what I have to date.

Carol
--------------------------------------
Cheek of the Devil
Bryant  :-[
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 05 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

have you tried the NSW BDM -- http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

Births 1788 to 1905 -- Deaths 1788 to 1945 -- Marriages 1788 to 1945
That may assist, I had a quick look to see if your John & Mary had any further children when they arrived, see below, also noticed a James & Margaret
3259 VOL 142B/1858  ODONNELL  JAMES  JAMES  MARGARET     Buy Now   
37/1862  O'DONNELL  JOHN  JOHN  MARY  SYDNEY    Buy Now 
37/1862  ODONNELL  JOHN  JOHN  MARY  SYDNEY   

Australia has no census information, all destroyed under privacy rules.

Regards,

Lesd
Research Names -- Smithson, Dickinson, Craven, Christian, Perry, Hayes, Law, Shaw

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 05 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryant

Congrats on the 400   ;D  ;D  ;D
As I mentioned in PM, will take awhile to digest the information - meanwhile others may well provide some suggestions - as has already happened.

No descendant search is a "hopeless case" and there is my positive statement for the day. Brick walls are built to be smashed.

8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  Need the sunnies in oz

best wishes

Trish

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 05 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Lesd, Thankyou Trish

Lesd
Interesting theory, Mary (senior) could well have had another child or two if she was young when she had Mary?
what does below actually mean....that these are the parents of a child, and if you buy me it will reveal who the child is?

37/1862  O'DONNELL  JOHN  JOHN  MARY  SYDNEY    Buy Now
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 January 05 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The first names are child's followed by father & mothers name, you can purchase a copy of the full certificate which includes parents detail include where born .

I have found to avoid wrong paths, it is worth the effort to troll through the NSW BDM and gain a list of all possibilities and cull or purchase certs to make sure. We all have been down the wrong creek in our joy of finding what we thought was that missing relative.
It is so difficult here as prior to about 1915 people just seemed to turn up with no recorded arrival info, I have a Grandfather & Grandmother who arrived sometime between 1908 & 1911, I have found some info on the electoral rolls for my grandmother, but only telling you where she was and these are not mandatory registrations. I think I have found the ship my grandfather arrived on but can find nothing to corroborate the information.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance, I am becoming professional in running into brick walls.

Rgds,

Lesd
Research Names -- Smithson, Dickinson, Craven, Christian, Perry, Hayes, Law, Shaw

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 January 05 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,
I'm having troble with this one. My G grandfarther is listed i the 1891 Census in Camborne, Cornwall. He is  a tin miner. He then appears in Charters towers in 1892 working in the Victory Gold Mine.

Which port do you think he may have depated England and arrived in Australia.

Shipping records are my weak spot.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 January 05 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi DA

I'm away from home base at the minute - will get back to you soon
Trish

Offline Bill Bolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 February 05 07:09 GMT (UK) »
> There is no Family History Group for the city of Sydney (which is quite odd).

That's like expecting to find one FHG for "London"  ;D

Sydney today is a city of ~4 million people.... there are numerous genealogical groups throughout the suburbs of Sydney.  The best place to start is the Society of Australian Genealogists at http://www.sag.org.au/.  SAG  is based in the Sydney CBD and should be able to either help directly or point you to a suburban FHG that can help you.

Cheers,

Bill

Sydney, Australia