Author Topic: Link: Passenger Lists - Eastern Mainland Australia  (Read 48904 times)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists - Eastern Mainland Australia
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 February 05 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Trish

Just to clarify, the following is from the PRO's website (Unassisted passengers Index)

The Port code (B, F or N) indicates which series of microfiche to look at and does not necessarily indicate the passengers' nationality.

Cheers
Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 March 05 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Just another thought, folks,

If you live in an Australian provincial city it is hard.  I had searched long and unsuccessfully for the arrival of my g-grandparents in New South Wales - I knew approximately when, but they were not assisted immigrants.

Then someone in the local U3A genealogy group told me that the Family History Unit at the State Library of Queensland will do limited research for people in provincial cities.  I got onto the person concerned, and bingo!  She found my people on a microfilm from the NSW State Archives, and she also found me some invaluable info from the Times digital archive which has led me a lot further.

This is a great service.  Other State libraries may have it also, for country Aussies.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kim ter-horst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 May 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
information on passenger lists is a bit of a hit and miss affair. 

Assuming they were assisted immigrants,  there will be name, age (including age of wife for marreid couple) where they came from, whether they could read/write, religion and children.  Parents names are not always included. There are indexes eg "bounty index" which are not available on line (sadly) which cover more than the basic shipping lists at records.nsw.gov.au.  Not all ists have survivied.

if they were unassisted (ie paid their own way) you're lucky to find an index card with "Mr and Mrs Jones and 2 children" - if the government wasn't paying the passage they didn't care who they were.

kim
london - ash/camplin/Bailey; yorkshire - simpson/tyson/pexton; cornwall - bennett hodge/gold; ireland - johnston/cusack kenny
Australia NSW/SA from 1850 onwards + germany (prussia), holland, dutch east indies

Offline bart

• RootsChat Extra
  • GF Alexander David INNES
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 May 05 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
does South Australia have a site simular to the ones you have posted re QLD,Vic or NSW?
INNES  of Scotland, Aberdeen- Direct Line<br />Thomson, Taylor, Skinner, Scott, Ritchie, Robb, Mearns, Lumsden - SCOTLAND<br />Stewart, Ryan, McFee,Buckley Cork- IRELAND/AUST<br />Wallwork, Middleton, Metcalf, Kemp, Burton, England<br />Stephens, Sill,- AUST<br />Pfennig - GERMANY/AUST<br />and others

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 May 05 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All ;D
  Any ideas on a crew list for-
"Vulture"-Whaler-23- 7-1806,From england via the New zealand Whale fishery,to NSW.
   So far, Ive found 2 pieces of info on the ship-New Zealand mariners index,Very handy indeed,and the colonial secreterys index NSW.
            Never know your luck................
                ........cheers chrissy. ;D

Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 June 05 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the links, I've just found a family of mine who went to Australia 1857.
Whoo hoo ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 June 05 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
does South Australia have a site simular to the ones you have posted re QLD,Vic or NSW?

Hi Bart

I know little about SA immigrants. Post a new topic with a little detail on who you are looking for & someone with knowledge of SA may answer. This thread was meant to be for info only - rather than queries.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 July 05 10:51 BST (UK) »
Trish
My thanks for posting the above links, very kind of you.  So far they haven't turned up my Whifield but I will continue lurking on this topic.

Regards, Pauline

Offline cjamesuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
I dont know if you can be of help to me.  I have looked at the websites you put here but could not get anywhere with my question.  My grandad brother went to Brisbane in the 1920'30's not sure when, we think he may have had connections with the Salvation Army maybe being sponsored by them his name was George Cox and he came from Leytonstone in East London.  My mum had contact with the family until the 19780's but when she died I lost touch.  I would very much like to get in touch again.  I know it is a long short but I am trying to at least trace what boat they/he went on.  Could you let me know how practical this is, thanks
Christine