Author Topic: Link: Passenger Lists - Eastern Mainland Australia  (Read 48905 times)

Offline Bill Bolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists - Eastern Mainland Australia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 February 05 07:23 GMT (UK) »
> I have tried to assist Coriolana but know nothing of what is available in
> Australia let alone Sydney!

The NSW State Records office has, amongst other things, the assisted immigration records indexes for NSW available for on line searching at http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/.  There are also some early VIC and QLD assisted immigration records from the periods before those areas were split off from NSW as separate colonies.

Select the "Search our online indexes"  hyperlink and when you get to the linked page, look at the top for "Quick Search" which will allow you to look for a name across all the on line records.  The search does accept wildcards.

Keep in mind that the spellings in the assisted immigration records can be very "approximate" so you should to try all imaginable variations on spellings for your name of interest.  Even if you have the spelling from a later NSW BDM or other record, that does not mean the same spelling will have been captured in the immigration records (ask me how I know ::).

Cheers,

Bill

Sydney, Australia

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 February 05 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill

I'll add your link to the top of this post - It was really meant to be an information only post. We were all somewhat confused about the "no family history groups in Sydney". The  LDS, for starters have their Australian Head office there. I've never had much luck with the State records indexes. I did find what I thought was my family in their 1841 Census - ordered the records & it turned out to be someone else!

My grandmother Ethel was registered as Ahel (took some finding as her last name was incorrectly spelt as well) so that may give you a lead in to tell us about your strange spellings

Hope you enjoy RootsChats - I've had some great help here.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 05:53 GMT (UK) »
For those interested in Queensland shipping/passenger lists, try the following site:-

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/indexes.asp

cheers,

Wendy  (Melbourne)

Offline Jenny Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that link Wendy that is one that I had been waiting for (or my next trip tp Brisbane).  I was immediately able to confirm that one of my ancestors fathers did not migrate to Qld as we thought.

Jenny.
AYRES - Surrey, Maitland
ATKINS - Kent, Sydney, Brisbane
CAMPBELL - Isle of Skye, Chatsworth Island NSW
CONNORS - Scotland, Ireland, Sydney
FLANAGAN - Scotland, Sydney
HOUWELING - Netherlands
PETCH - Kent, Australia
TREVITT - Newark
VICKERS - Birmngham, Oaken
WATSON - Isle of Man, Chatsworth Island NSW
WATTS - Kent, Maitland
WOOD - Oaken, Broseley, Barrow, Penkridge, Brisbane
WORTELBOER - Netherlands

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the links trish . The very first link `unassisted passages' came up trumps. I have found my missing emmigrant Richard Lawlor .
year 1890 ship Kaiser Wilhelm 11  port F fisch 258 page 003 
brilliant !  now how can I find out more detail can I request a copy of the fische entry ?
Nick

EDIT
$75.00 ouch !  :o :o ::) does anyone know what information is provided on the passenger lists?
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline rawry45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 February 05 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, this is my first time come in this forum... to my biggest surprise I finally found my ancestors emigrated to Queensland 1882 which I've been searching for "mystery disappeared Rawson Family from Lancashire" 18 months. My descendants told me they came to Victoria via Tasmania, no record found as I found birth of their daughter in Qld so I thought should be up there. Many thanks for the site I'm trying to find. Now I can rest. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Australia - Rawson MacPherson Juggins Goldsworthy Kneebone Mayne Boyd
Sheffield - Rawson Juggins
Cornwall - Kneebone Goldsworthy Mayne
Wales - Kneebone Saunders
Luton - Juggins
Galashiels - Boyd
Scotland - MacPherson

Offline cassie-anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 February 05 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Just found my ancestor on the unassisted Migrants page but do not understand what it means

Hannah Johnston, 18, Sept, 1914, Benalla, B

Please HELP

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 February 05 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Just found my ancestor on the unassisted Migrants page but do not understand what it means
Hannah Johnston, 18, Sept, 1914, Benalla, B

Hi cassie-anne

It simply means Hannah arrived in Victoria on the "Benalla" in Sept 1914.  She was aged 18 when left England and paid for her own passage.  I believe the "B" port code, indicates which series of microfiche.   If you wanted a copy of the actual shipping list the fiche no and page would help at the Archives Office.

Cheers
GEnni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 February 05 15:37 GMT (UK) »
It simply means Hannah arrived in Victoria on the "Benalla" in Sept 1914.  She was aged 18 when left England and paid for her own passage.  I believe the "B" port code, indicates which series of microfiche.   If you wanted a copy of the actual shipping list the fiche no and page would help at the Archives Office.

Hi Genni & Cassie-Ann

I wondered for ages about the "B" but it means from British Port. The "F" means Foreign Port - anywhere other than Britain or NZ - and the "N" New Zealand. It's actually in the heading but took me forever to realise what it meant

Index of Inward Passenger Lists for British, Foreign and New Zealand Ports

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk