Author Topic: Clingan, Sutherland and Waugh families  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Clingan

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clingan, Sutherland and Waugh families
« on: Wednesday 21 November 07 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help.
Have traced John Clingan, born 1853 at S. Leith who went with his parents to Stromness, Orkney. His father, John was a baker. On death of father family returned to S. Leith with John ending up in Brora coal mine as a miner. He married a local lass, Margaret Sutherland at Clyne on 20 Aug 1875. The family later ended up in Grangemouth. Margaret's parents were William Sutherland, no other details and Elspet or Elspeth Sutherland who died at Clyne about 1850.

Also recently found that a distantly related family is the Waugh's of Clyne/Golspie, in particular Henry Waugh who married Alexandrina Dempster. The Waugh family look as if they were originally from the Roxborough area. Henry believed to have been a shepherd who may have spent some time in Dornoch jail for alleged poaching.

Realise that the Sutherland surname is very comon in this area but wondered if anyone researching Sutherland surnames have come across Clingan or Elspeth.

Also interested in making contact with anyone reseaching family name of Waugh. Name also appears in Farr and Wick, Helmsdale and Tain. Might..... all be connected.
Thanks
Ian Clingan
Clingan, Kirkpatrick Durham, Kirkcudbright, Dumfries-shire, Liverpool, Australia, New Zealand, Canada
Boak, Liverpool
Markham & Grover, Reading, Berks

Offline katincaithness

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clingan, Sutherland and Waugh families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 September 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
I have some info on the Waughs from Sutherland. What do you need to know?