Author Topic: Towel / Low Mystery  (Read 1127 times)

Offline DaveT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me many years ago
    • View Profile
Towel / Low Mystery
« on: Thursday 22 November 07 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a direct ancestor a Matthew Towel who I easily found in the census apart from 1841 until someone on Rootschat found him as Low.  Correct address wife children etc.
Tracking his children was easy till the 1881 census when they disappeared.  I then decided to search for the surname Low and hey presto found them all.  One of the children, William and his family were down as Low yet his children are on the BMD as Towel. 
Another child John kept the Towel name but his children changed to Low and married under that surname.

Any ideas what's going on?   Matthew can't be found in the parish registers where he said he was born on the census as other people on Rootschat have tried.

Any advice much welcome

Regards
Dave
Bury. Lancs Taylor Kenyon:  Surrey. Bruce:  London. Cristoe: Yorks W Riding. Woodcock, Liversidge: Shrops. Escott, Davies, Jones,  Mansell.  Hunts: Bath, Shepherd. Lincs: Toyn, Towell, Kingswood, Brumpton.  Sussex:  Wood,  Gibson, Silvester, Hampshire: Silvester

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Towel / Low Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 07 21:33 GMT (UK) »
IGI has (batch C030871 North Thoresby)

Baptism 14 Feb 1799
Matthew LION, son of Mary

This was apparently the only Matthew bap there 1790-1810 (of 255 baptisms)

I wonder if his mother later married a LOW (or a TOWELL)?

The only TOWELL/LION/LOW burial I can see at North Thoresby in the period 1813-60 is

31 Oct 1836 Mary TOWELL aged 76

The only TOWELL bap in the Nth Thoresby batch was 1793, Elizabeth, dau of Mary.

Just a few random jottings really, no idea if anything links.  Once people start changing names it gets a bit tricky ???
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
  • Jacky Clark (nee Jacqueline Allen)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 November 07 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Matthew and Elizabeth Kingswood settled in Ludford and they are both buried there.

A Mary Towel married a John Low in Louth in 1771

A John Low is buried in Ludford in 1819 age 80 and a Mary Low in 1818 age 94

This info probably nothing to do with anything..........

Jacky
My Maternal line are all from Lincolnshire - First Generations include:
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 07 18:52 GMT (UK) »
He was calling himself Towell in 1831-35 as the IGI has baptisms for three of the children.
Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DaveT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me many years ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 07 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for their comments.
Matthew married, had children and died as a Towel as did his wife.  The only time he appeared as Low was on the 1841 census.  His children had different ideas, some changed some didn't.
Jackys comment on a Mary Towel and John Low looks good.  I can't find that many Lows around Ludford apart from mine.
The mystery continues....
Dave
Bury. Lancs Taylor Kenyon:  Surrey. Bruce:  London. Cristoe: Yorks W Riding. Woodcock, Liversidge: Shrops. Escott, Davies, Jones,  Mansell.  Hunts: Bath, Shepherd. Lincs: Toyn, Towell, Kingswood, Brumpton.  Sussex:  Wood,  Gibson, Silvester, Hampshire: Silvester

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 08 20:58 GMT (UK) »
My in laws have a link to Towel's baesd in Brotherton area. Interestingly all the males have a middle name beginning with M.  Sorry I don't know this one, but if you have a Hepsibah I'd be interested to hear about her!!
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor