Author Topic: Barbara Morrin (Morrin/Mcdougall parents)  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Barbara Morrin (Morrin/Mcdougall parents)
« on: Friday 23 November 07 11:25 GMT (UK) »
A thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,192247.0.html has lead to be looking for new parents for my Susan McDougall.

Wondering if someone who knows the batch numbers or has register access can help shed some light. Family search (LDS) has
Barbara Morren bapt 5 june 1844 at the Abbey (Paisley)
Father Archibald Morren
Mother Susan McDougall
Batch number C119588

Could the Susan McDougall mentioned have been unmarried at the time, or who is this person.
Can they be found in any of the census
Any ideas welcomed :)

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara Morrin (Morrin/Mcdougall parents)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 07 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I've been to scotlandspeople and looked at image of this registration, it says
"MORREN Barbara DL of Archd Morren labourer and Susan McDougall, 5(Born) 16th Aug 1844 (Registered)

Can anyone say what the column born means, it has the 5 in it, from other entries it would be  a guess to say the birth was on 5th of month.

Alot of the other entries on the page appear to have the husbands surname and the mother with a surname..
From otheres experience is this just giving mothers maiden name or does it mean they weren't married??

I tried to find Archd or archibald in 1851 but couldn't find a match, there was one born 1812 but didn't have Barbara as a child or Susan as a wife...any brainwaves/finds welcomed :)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 07 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Althea

The actual date of birth is the 5th and baptism 16th. From my experience OPR baptisms give mother's maiden name but it could also mean they were not married tho I'd be inclined to go with the former as most appear just like that.

I too have loooked for your Archibald and cannot find . It is not unusual for records to be on LDS and not on Scotland's People. This is normally because of non church of Scotland pre 1855. However you should confirm if the LDS entry was submitted or extracted. If extracted then an OPR exists and you'd need to get a copy of the film. Tho to forewarn you it won't have any parents details. OPRs for marriages were normally the banns which were read out in church 3 weeks before the wedding. The OPR very very rarely has any other details than the bride and groom - so no parents names fraid.

Good luck!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 07 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ann for looking

Used up the last of my Scotspeople credits looking for other Susan Mcdougalls possible baps
Susan McDougall 12/11/1827 parents Neill MacDougall and Ann MacIntyre Craig, Kitchrenan and Delavich Parish/Argyll
Susan dau of James and Elizabeth Montgomery (Eliminated as poss in another thread)
Susanna McDougall parents Daniel abd Catherine McFarlane, OLd or West Kilpatrick/Dunbarton

Sadly lots of marriages for Susan McDougalls in 40's to 1850's but none for Archd Morren.
Back to the drawing board.... ???

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 07 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I've been to scotlandspeople and looked at image of this registration, it says
"MORREN Barbara DL of Archd Morren labourer and Susan McDougall, 5(Born) 16th Aug 1844 (Registered)

Can anyone say what the column born means, it has the 5 in it, from other entries it would be  a guess to say the birth was on 5th of month.

Hi Althea,

On the IGI, it states birth was on the 5th so I presume that the 5 in the "Born" column is date of birth. On the IGI it is an extracted record and gives parents as Archibald Morren and Susan McDougall

Tom

PS I have just noticed that you had IGI record already, sorry.

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 07 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Althea.

On IGI, Archibald Morran (this time) and Susanna  McDougal had a daughter Margaret Morran on 16 Jan 1843 at Abbey (Paisley) Renfrewshire. This is also an extracted record.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 07 19:42 GMT (UK) »
wow, thanks for that Tom
Now I have something more to follow
BYe
Althea ;D

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 07 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Well got another pair of eyes to look and now find why we can't find family in 1851 census
They were already in NEW ZEALAND
Archibald was a fencible
http://www.nzfenciblesociety.org.nz/wawcs017849/the-fencibles.html#letterM
MORAN Archibald Susan McDOUGALL MIN 60th Foot
So still not sure who Susan McDougall was but aleast have finally tracked them
So heaps now to follow up  ;D