Author Topic: Census lookup please  (Read 9983 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookup please
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 November 07 18:33 GMT (UK) »
It's not just the transcription which is incorrect, but also the index itself.  It could either be his accent or the handwriting misread at some stage of the process between marriage register through to GRO Index.

Have you tried checking for any wills? I can't imagine that such prominent men, particularly the one connected with the sugar refinery, which was a large firm, would have died intestate.  They might be quite revealing if they mention children or other relatives.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 November 07 18:42 GMT (UK) »
The National  ARchives site has a few interesting looking documents about the career of some Petrie Thomsons.  http://www.a2a.org.uk/

John Thomson Petrie 1918 Medal Card
George Petrie Thomson 1885, born Kirkmichael, Perthshire, Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services

Don't know if this is of interest but seems free to download a passenger list for the Caledonia, 1949, departure point Bombay, arrival Liverpool, mention of person with a middle name "Petrie" http://www.movinghere.org.uk/search/catalogue.asp?RecordID=45459
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 November 07 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Fabulous Mary- thank you!!
I had never heard of the "moving here" web site, bother I have to get to work now though!! How frustrating!!!

Yes I do have John (sugar refiners) will or at least the documents relating to it which were given to his children. It only mentions his children and Agnes. Agnes was given the use of the house he built in his retirement and it's contents for the duration of her life, Plymyard Towers in Chester so it was intriguing to see that she didn't stay there but moved in firstly with Harry then after Harry died with her family. A very helpful man from the Plymyard Allotment Society and someone from the local historical society helped me to pin down the house and even a photo of it. Which as you can imagine was wonderful to have.

Thank you so much (again) Mary.
Liz
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline Dean Sheldon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 September 09 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am going off track a bit here but I was born in Plymyard Towers in 1965.It was knocked down when I was about 3 years old.It had it's own tree lined entrance from Plymyard Avenue.I have never known any of it's history until now.Would it be possible to post the picture please? thank you

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dean
Happy to send you a photo but the image I have is too large to post here perhaps if you send me your email address via a personal message I could send it on (it's over 3Mb & the site only takes up to 500Kb I think).
Great to find out when it was eventually demolished - thanks for that.
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline Dean Sheldon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liz, I will.As  new member I cannot yet use the PM facility.As soon as I can I will forward my email address to you, thanks again

Offline SharpsHunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 January 11 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz
I would love to have a picture of Plymyard Towers. I am researching my grandmother for my Dad. She worked at Plymyard Towers in 1911 and I got onto this werbsite by Googling it. So, like Dean, I am new to this. Please could you send me a picture and I can include it in my Dad's folder. Thank you vm.
Sharps Marsden Sharpes Sharp Worrell

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 January 11 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi vm

More than happy to send you a photo. I've sent you a PM with my email address.
I'll look forward to hearing from you.

regards
Liz