Author Topic: Census lookup please  (Read 9980 times)

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 07 20:37 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

1841 census- 6 brighton street,

william...age 45...tobacconist
isabella...age 35
janet...age 15
william...age 6
john...age 4

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 November 07 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I hoped you knew something about the dates of death that you mentioned in your first post, you seemed to know that not all of them survived.

The 1841 census had ages all rounded down to the nearest 4 for anybody aged over 15, so this sometimes accounts for a certain amount of discrepancies, but the difficulty here with the ages is that not being able to see the original image the fault may be in either the writing or transcribing, it's not as easy as the English ones, although they aren't always easy either ;)

There's no easy answer to your question, unless anybody was able to check the original document, which I can only assume might be possible in a Record Office in Scotland as the English ones are available around the Counties.

One way is to try to find the alternate family in later years which I tried to do unsuccessfully.  I must admit I jumped on Jessy/ie with the correct named parents and some siblings.  I think your best bet is to find the birth for either Agnes or Peter, since they don't appear in the 1851 census and see what their mother's maiden name is, that should confirm it one way or the other I hope.

Just to hopefully give you a laugh, I checked for an Agnes Thomson in the 1851 census and found one, possibly with a father John, who was a prisoner in Aberdeen, occupation "Vagrant Selling Wack". 

Nice one Joe, that seems to have solved it.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 November 07 20:44 GMT (UK) »
This all sounds very sensible! Thank you both so much for your help!
I'll keep the "vagrant selling wack" in mind!! What a laugh!!
You are wonderful & I do appreciate all you have done.
Liz
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 November 07 20:59 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

william & isabella married 3/9/1819

children...

janet...born 5/7/1821
marion...born 3/5/1823
isabella...born 16/2/1825
john...born 14/6/1837

huge gap betweeen isabella and john....

Joe

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 November 07 21:06 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

1861 census- 6 brighton street

william...age 64...tobaconist
isabella...age 57
janet...age 35
john..age 23..optician
thomas n...age 16...apprentice civil engineer

good news they made it past 1855 as you can now get death certs and go back a further step.

Joe

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 November 07 21:54 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

think i found him...the john one...

1901 census- 113 barrow road, wandsworth, london

john...age 63....artist/photographer...born edingburgh
isabella...age 62...born liverpool
william...age 31...member of stock exchange...born china
john n...age 30...picture dealer...born isle of man
isabel b...age 27...born london
marion...age 26...born london
margaret...age 24...born london

agnes thomson...visitor...age 69...born liverpool
louisa petric...sick nurse...age 30

Joe

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 November 07 22:17 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

1881 census- 60 acre lane, lambeth, london

john...age 43..photographer
isabella...age 42
william...age 11
john...age 10
isabel...age 7
marion...age 6
margaret...age 4
arthur...age 2

Joe

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 November 07 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Fabulous!!
I'm so pleased to see Agnes Thomson (nee Petrie) with them.
My hunt is for the Thomson's specifically Agnes Petrie's husband John Thomson my gt gt grandfather. I'm trying a bit of lateral thinking to track him down.

It seemed a coincidence that the 2 Petrie sisters (Isabella & Agnes Waugh) married John Thomson's so I'm hoping that the John Thomson's will be linked somehow.
The John Thomson who married Agnes Petrie was b abt 1812 in Scotland son of another John Thomson (a farmer) from his marriage certificate - he died on 19 May 1889.

Agnes Waugh Petrie's husband John Thomson travelled overseas to the West Indies and India then eventually settled in Lancashire setting up the Sankey Sugar Refinery. Agnes was his second wife his first was Jamima Thomson from Bo'ness, West Lothian. The Petrie's also have links with Bo'ness,

I wonder if the Louisa Petric, sick nurse was actually a Petrie?? Hmmm!!

How nice to find Agnes alive in 1901 - I have a possible death for her on March Qtr 1914 Wandsworth District aged 83 so that would work nicely. She is living with her stepson Harry in 1891 and in the 1881 census with her husband and stepchildren.

This is all so helpful, thank you!!
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 November 07 06:45 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the Louisa Petric, sick nurse was actually a Petrie?? Hmmm!!

The last letter of the name has certainly not been written very clearly and I would expect it will be Petrie.  It might help you to know that she states that she was born in Australia.  Occupation is Hospital Nurse with "sick" being an addition, so I would suspect that she was working as a nurse, rather than nursing a sick person in the household.

Agnes is stated to be widowed.

The reference for the 1901 census for your files is RG13; Piece: 479; Folio: 62; Page: 26
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)