Author Topic: Harbour Police  (Read 6552 times)

Offline neilscott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harbour Police
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 07 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, many thanks for all this information.

Aghadowey many thanks. I live in Nottingham but have just had my first trip to Derry to see what I could find out in the local library. Maybe a trip to Belfast PRONI would be beneficial. Sorry but could you let me know what IGI is please?

Christopher thanks for the info re RIC and RUC; from this I would guess Archie was in the RIC, with a location around the harbor. Do you know if there is any way of finding out of members of the RIC and service details? I guess this could be quite sensitive?
As the story goes he was Archie was found drunk in uniform his Sergeant said he would rather lose is right arm than have a drunken officer at the time of the Kings visit to Derry. Archibald was sacked and the Sergeant lost his right arm some weeks later! (this could just be a family tail, but quite interesting)

Mary, wow - thanks this looks very possible, especially as I know they had two sons as Samuel and Gordon. I do have a copy of my grandmother’s birth certificate with the parents being Archibald Scott and Mary Smith this was dated 4th June 1898. It does use the spelling of Smith (not Smyth). How much importance should I put on the spelling? Things do seem to line up with dates as this made my grandmothers birth 12 years after the marriage of Archi and Emma Smyth. I will try and find out the birth date of their eldest child and if this comes in after the marriage then it increases the probability.

Cheers Neil

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 November 07 21:14 GMT (UK) »
IGI is International Genealogical Index at www.familysearch.org.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline neilscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 November 07 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey and thanks Scottmum this is Archibald and his son Gordon. The two son's that where killed in the war are Archi (Inniskillin Fusiliers) KIA France  and Samuel KIA Somme.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 November 07 02:44 GMT (UK) »
from national archives (ww1 campaign medals)

archibald scott. royal inniskilling fusiliers. regiment no.9831. rank corporal.

samuel scott.  same as above  regiment no. 21245. rank lance corporal.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 November 07 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello, many thanks for all this information.

Christopher thanks for the info re RIC and RUC; from this I would guess Archie was in the RIC, with a location around the harbor. Do you know if there is any way of finding out of members of the RIC and service details? I guess this could be quite sensitive?
As the story goes he was Archie was found drunk in uniform his Sergeant said he would rather lose is right arm than have a drunken officer at the time of the Kings visit to Derry. Archibald was sacked and the Sergeant lost his right arm some weeks later! (this could just be a family tail, but quite interesting)

Cheers Neil

Hi Neil,

Jim Herlihy has done a large amount of research into the RIC and written two or three books about the force. The one you require to get a few details of your ancestor would be a hardcover volume called "The Royal Irish Constabulary: A Complete Alphabetical List of Officers and Men, 1816-1922" If he's listed it will show his number and the approximate time he joined. That's sufficient to enable you to get more information at the Garda  Síochána Museum and Archives

Christopher

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 November 07 12:54 GMT (UK) »
There's also an independent police force in Ireland which is one of the six Home Office approved independent police forces in the United Kingdom. That's the Belfast Harbour Police (BHP) which was established in 1847. 

Offline neilscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MaryDerry, I belive the information you provided is correct
"this may be him.  ARCHIBALD SCOTT 29-2-1864 KILDERRY, DERRY. PARENTS. SAMUEL SCOTT & MATILDA GORDON.

MARRIAGE. ARCHIBALD SCOTT TO EMMA SMYTH 1-6-1886 @ CHRISTCHURCH COFI ,TEMPLEMORE ,DERRY.

SAMUEL SCOTT TO MATILDA GORDON 6-11-1857 & DERRY CIVIL REGISTRARS OFFICE. TEMPLEMORE, DERRY.
"
How did you get this?Thanks