Author Topic: Mitford, Northumberland  (Read 3774 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitford, Northumberland
« on: Sunday 25 November 07 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate where a place called Skinner House was. In the transcript of the Mitford, Northumberland parish records there is an entry that gives the place of abode as Skinner House. Does anyone have an idea where this may be? Could it be a name of a large house or a mistranscription of a nearby village or an area subsumed into present day Mitford. The parish record dates from 1730 so its a bit of a shot in the dark.

Any ideas? Thank you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Mitford, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 07 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davidft

I couldn't see any sign of it in the Mitford 1841 census, there's an old map of Mitford at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx but a bit small for my eyes!

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 07 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Barbara,

I haven't found it on there yet but i will keep looking. :)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 November 07 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Just put Mitford into the search box, then when address dropdown list appears, click on Mitford Northumberland  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 07 18:32 GMT (UK) »
davidft

You can also get various old maps of Mitford here http://www.keystothepast.info/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=N11065
Go to the bottom of the page and click on 'location on a map' which will take you to the current OS map. Click on 'Historical Maps' and you will be given various options to look at.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 07 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Jennifer, that's a much clearer map than the one I found  :)
Unfortunately doesn't show Skinner House, it must have gone by 1841 or I think it would have been listed in the census

Barbara

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 07 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Barbara and Jennifer.

Thank you. I have been searching round the map and although i found some interesting place names i still haven't found Skinner's House yet. However, i have found an e mail address so i have sent a message to them to see if they can help or suggest who may be able to.

David

Offline John Dixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 07 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone called Skinner on the Census you are looking at?
NORTH NORTHUMBERLAND & TYNESIDE

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 December 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

The reference i found to Skinner House was not on a census but in some parish records of Mitford dated 1731. I have had a look around and i now wonder if it was in the area where Mitford Hall now stands as the Hall was not built until the 1830's. I have mentioned this to someone from one of the local history societies and they are investigating to see if they can find out anything about Skinner House.

David