Author Topic: 1832 will - freehold property  (Read 909 times)

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1832 will - freehold property
« on: Sunday 25 November 07 13:51 GMT (UK) »
i have a copy of a will dated october 1832
in it (isaac bulman) leaves his household goods and furniture and a yearly payment to his wife, a yearly payment to his two daughters and his freehold property is to be shared between his two sons as equal tenants.
no where on the will does it say where/what this property is.
i know he lived and died in ashton under lyne, so presumably the property is somewhere in this area.
on the 1841 census i've found one of his sons (john. occ tailor) living in stanford street, ashton under lyne and one daughter (pamela, also living in stanford street and married to a tailor)
is it possible that the freehold property is a shop? - i always imagined freehold property to include land, ie, a farm etc
any suggestions on how to find out more?
thanks
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1832 will - freehold property
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 07 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure somebody will be able to tell you All About It, but Freehold surely describes the way in which someone owns a property - ie it's theirs absolutely (apart possibly for mineral rights & such) & they don't pay ground rent & the property will not revert to another party at some stage in the future.  Doesn't have to be land - could be house, shop, business premises.  Remember that in early 19th cen it was unusual to own property - most people rented (as indeed they did until half way thru 20th century).
Maggott

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 07 18:30 GMT (UK) »
thanks maggott.
speaking personally, i know that on the deeds to my house it is referred to as freehold, meaning that i own the house and the (tiny!) bit of land its built on.
but with regard to this will, it struck me as strange that no address was given as to where/what this property was, especially when he's quite specific in his other bequests.

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 November 07 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm guessing the property wasn't actually named because there was just the one property and everyone involved  all knew which it was. I've found wills get more specific if there is more than one property left to more than one person.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 07 19:02 GMT (UK) »
thanks carole,
i'm beginning to think that its the property in stanford street, so i'll do some further digging

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 07 21:38 GMT (UK) »
just a quick update - i found the property   :D

i googled isaac bullman and up he popped in an 1832 tameside trade directory:
bullman, isaac & sons, tailors and drapiers, 56 stamford street, ashton under lyne.
i'm certain that this must be the property mentioned in the will.