Author Topic: Smith Family 1881  (Read 1687 times)

Offline northern boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Smith Family 1881
« on: Sunday 25 November 07 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help? I have a few relatives who worked in worstead textiles in 1881. How do i go about finding out which factory they might have worked. Are there any web sites with a name search?

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Smith Family 1881
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 07 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm afraid you are on a hiding to nowhere if you are hoping to find your ancestors name on a list of workers.
Unless they owned the factory, had a high ranking position or the factory chimney fell on them, then there is very little paperwork left in existence that names employees.
If you are just looking for a mill that they might have worked at then I would suggest looking at a map of that period and finding the nearest workplace to where they lived, many maps differentiate between the types of work done at the various mills. Perhaps if you can let us have an address someone might have local knowledge.
Other sources include trade directories for the 1880's period but again they only list owners.
good hunting
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk