Author Topic: Brickwall Demolition Required  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Gwyn-Morris

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brickwall Demolition Required
« on: Monday 26 November 07 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

You know when you hit one of them walls and just can't get through, over or around it, well I have found one.

I am searching for Armstrong McAuley, born 1855 in Greenock.   I have fiund him on the 1861 with his parents, on the 1871 in the Kible Reformatory, his marriage to Agnes Ferguson in 1876 and an entry on the 1881 Census, then he disappears.

I have tried all the other countries census entries and even looked on the Ellis Island site, but both he and Agnes seems to have disappeared after 1891.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Gwyn
Denbighshire and Flintshire: Morris, Clutton, Evans, Roberts, Bebbington.  Yorkshire. Coatsworth, Goddard, Maltby, Harness.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall Demolition Required
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 07 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gwyn

Is it possible that he used a different forename?

I am not clear whether you have found him in 1891 or not? Perhaps you could give the details of the latest census you have for the family, please?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gwyn-Morris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aaron,

The last entry for Armstrong is when he has been enumerated twice on the 1881 census, one living with his father, mother (although they have mis-spelt her name) and sister, he is shown as married, and again on the 1881 with his wife Agnes.

I have tried variations on the spelling of his names but still no sight of him.

Regards

Gwyn
Denbighshire and Flintshire: Morris, Clutton, Evans, Roberts, Bebbington.  Yorkshire. Coatsworth, Goddard, Maltby, Harness.

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 10:50 GMT (UK) »
hi gwyn,

this one had me going round and round.

i am just going to stick to the 1861 census in the hope that some one can pick it up after me.

1861 census- 1 highland lane, paisley.

thomas...age 46...iron foundry labourer...born county down, c1815
fanny...age 32...born fermanagh c1829
thomas...age 18...iron foundry labourer...born ireland c1843
david...age 9
armstrong...age 6
james...age 3

now i believe that this is the family you are working on?

well...

on the 6/8/1853 at the high church in paisley thomas married fanny armstrong, thomas was aged 38 and fanny was aged 25.

children from the marriage showing up on the igi's

samuel...13/3/1856
james...3/4/1857
henry...1/1/1860
agnes...4/7/1863
fanny...3/3/1865
david...2/2/1867
margaret jane...5/3/1870
james...13/4/1872

all paisley.

do you think it is at all possible that your armstrong is indeed samuel?

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Gwyn-Morris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe,

You certainly have the correct family, I have all the information you have found, its unlikely that Samuel could have been Armstrong, on Armstrongs' marriage to Agnes there is no mention of him being named Samuel, and the scottish marriage records show so much information I am sure if Armstrongs full name had included a Samuel it would have been recorded.

Its certainly a funny one, my own thoughts are that he either emigrated (America?  Ireland? Canada?), or joined the army and moved away, or was in prison.  The search goes on I guess, many thanks for your interest Joe, and if you do come across the mysterious Armstrong, please point him in my direction.

Regards

Gwyn

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gwyn,

I'd take seriously that Samuel was Armstrong.  Twice over the recent months I've found one relative that between birth and marraige 'acquired' a middle name from somewhere - and it's definitely the correct person.  Also whilst researching for someone else recently, came across by time of death cert, a middle name which was not on the marriage cert.  One again the correct individual - both in Scotland.

Must admit I'm just of Scotlands People and have no credits left.  Can find no death of a Samuel McAuley in all of Scotland - surprisingly, but 1 for a Samuel Mcaulay in 1924.   Am in the local Registrars next Mon or Tue, so shall do a look up then.    Good luck with your searching.  :O)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

I have been looking too.

I am a bit doubtful of the Samuel theory - only because Armstrong should come between the second James and David in age and Samuel seems to be the eldest?

Will look a little longer ...

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gwyn-Morris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi al,

I cant thank you all enough for your interest and help, being stuck down here in North Wales makes life a little difficult when it comes to searching Scottish Records, thank goodness for  Scotlands People.

I know what you mean about 'lost' names piglet, I have found a few in my own family.

Regards

Gwyn

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

found this..

1851 census- 13 wellmeadow street, paisley

susan armstrong...age 45...born ireland c1806
fanny...age 21...warehouse worker
susan...age 17...warehouse worker