Author Topic: Charles II and Nell Gwyn's descendents  (Read 17630 times)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles II and Nell Gwyn's descendents
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I do not descend from Charles II, but do descend from his pal Dr. James Sharpe, Archbishop of St. Andrews.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I do not descend from Charles II, but do descend from his pal Dr. James Sharpe, Archbishop of St. Andrews.

friends in high places  ;D
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 November 07 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Its always intrigued me too, how some descendants end up peers of the realm and others end up "dustbinmen". I always assume (I know, I shouldn't!  :P) that daughters must have married "below themselves" (ie; a teacher/lawyer/office person) and the line becomes more and more diluted by "lower classes", until you end up with the binman on one branch and a duke on another branch!  ::) :-\ Yet by blood they are both equal!

This interests me so much. I am not descended from royalty, but from some people in the 1600s and 1700s who had fairly lofty jobs and friends and somehow, my direct ancestor branched away from the family and became a farrier. He then had a first cousin who became a doctor, with two sons who became very prominent doctores, one with a disease named after him, and my guy had to put one son into apprenticeship because he couldn't afford to keep him, and my ggg grandmother married a silk ribbon weaver. Oh, the life I could have had.  :P :D

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 November 07 11:28 GMT (UK) »
perhaps they squandered it away on drink

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 November 07 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Ah, now that sounds like my family.  :o

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 November 07 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I think there are three main reasons for lack of wealth.

The first would be the fact that the heir usually received the lot. Younger male siblings were largely forgotten, and females were expected to marry off into money. The little money they did receive would see them confortable in their own lifetime if they were lucky.

The second would be marrying downwardly. I descend from a legitimised daughter of James IV (Scotland). As the daughter of the King, she married a Earl. The children of that marriage bar the heir married into other noble families, some with lesser titles. In my case we end up with the Abernethy family who only 200 years after their Royal link were marrying title-less Lairds. In my case, the Fraser of Philorth. The Frasers usually married in to local families. Through this process, the people become less wealthy, and less influential.

The third reason is illegitimacy. In the case of my greatx6 grandmother, her lowranking Noble (if that father) left her only £10 in the will. He had no other children, but still left his remaining thousands to his nephew, the Fraser Lord Saltoun.

So in short, if you are not the eldest son, of the eldest son, of the eldest son, there probably wasn't much money passed down anyway. What was left became less and less over time. And if you are illegitimate, you shouldn't expect anything.

Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 December 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
The excellent book: "Nell Gwyn, a Biography", published in 2005 by Macmillan, was written by Charles Beauclerk.  He's directly descended from Charles II and Nell Gwyn...
keith

Offline cms

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 December 07 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks; I'll look in the library.
Also on the lines of recommendations -  for anyone in the Midlands, if Lesley Smith is doing a Nell Gwyn evening, go along - she is fantastic. Historical accuracy is guaranteed as she is a historian, based at Tutbury Castle, but she is very entertaining too.

Caroline
BATE, Lancashire
CASE, Lancashire
CHILWELL, Warwickshire
DRURY, Prees, Salop
McCOLL, Greenock and Appin
SMEDLEY, Nottingham
ASHWORTH, Buxton

Offline Amanda13

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 May 24 05:52 BST (UK) »
It is claimed that there are some two thousand living descendants of King Charles II and Nell Gwyn. Ranging from from dukes to dustmen, they include Samantha Cameron (wife of David Cameron) !

Has anyone traced their family back to Charlie and Nell?

Dukes or dustmen can reply.

Not that i know of no, but a 4x great uncle did live/work (not sure which) in Nell Gwyns townhouse at 79 Pall Mall. It was pulled down to make way for a new building by an insurance company in the1860s.