Author Topic: COMPLETED: Robert Anderson, WWI Private in Durham Light Infantry  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: Robert Anderson, WWI Private in Durham Light Infantry
« on: Tuesday 27 November 07 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone knows the answers to the following questions?

According to his Military Record Robert Anderson age 35 years and 9 months enlisted as a Private in the Durham Light Infantry at Sunderland 22 December 1914. I believe this would have been at the Drill Hall in Livingstone Road, roughly where Gill Bridge Police Station and the courts are today.

Then on 28 December 1914 he attended Newcastle-upon-Tyne where he formally joined. Here the entry was signed by H. Dryden Smith Lieut and Adj. Again does anyone know where in Newcastle this might have been?

He was posted to the 17th Battalion on 6th January 1915. Does anyone know where the 17th was billeted.

Thank you for any help to put a bit more meat on the bare bones of Robert's military record.
Yvonne

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Anderson, WWI Private in Durham Light Infantry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 10:39 GMT (UK) »
The 17th appears to have been formed at Barnard Castle in November 1914.

http://www.ordersofbattle.darkscape.net/site/warpath/regts/dli.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Anderson, WWI Private in Durham Light Infantry
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the web site. I know nothing of the ways of the military. So because the 17th Battalion was formed in Barnard Castle then this is where Robert did his training between January-October 1915?

When conscription was introduced in September 1916 the 17th Battalion became a Training Reserve and I understand transfered to Rugeley in Staffordshire. But this is after Robert's time with them.

Thanks, Yvonne