Poll

Are we more moral now than our victorian ancestors

yes
6 (15.8%)
no
32 (84.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: victorian morality  (Read 8094 times)

Offline Roli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: victorian morality
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 December 07 13:28 GMT (UK) »
In all this chat about pre-present generation morality, I may be missing the point but I thought I read that it was NORMAL for a woman to be pregnant before marriage.  This was simply to prove she was fertile and could produce heirs, (workers) to grow up and support the family in the then harder times when there was no state support. If she didn't become pregnant the man looked for a wife elsewhere - or am I being cynical?
Dalton - Hampshire (Kings' Somborne, Stockbridge)
Dauscha - Moravia/Bohemia, Austria.
Rolison- Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Berkshire, Hampshire

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 December 07 13:55 GMT (UK) »
In light of what I have discovered about my great great Granny, who married in 1892, divorced in 1894 (with a man named as a co-respondent on the divorce index), shacked up with another bloke (not divorce co-respondent) for 10 years and had 4 illegitimate children to him, married a different man again in 1918, apparently never told anyone about her first born son (my 3x Grandfather) as he does not appear on her death certificate, and used several different aliases (making it very hard to find out all this info about her) I am leaning towards a YES vote!

;D

- Belinda.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 06:02 GMT (UK) »
In all this chat about pre-present generation morality, I may be missing the point but I thought I read that it was NORMAL for a woman to be pregnant before marriage.  This was simply to prove she was fertile and could produce heirs, (workers) to grow up and support the family in the then harder times when there was no state support. If she didn't become pregnant the man looked for a wife elsewhere - or am I being cynical?

I well remember my father telling me "I wouldn't buy second hand goods" - so it wasn't considered the thing to do in my part of the world. (Not that this stopped anyone   :) ) I do remember hearing some  stories about some family members who didn't have any children - late 19th early 20th century - it always seemed to be "An act of God" or "God's will" - with the occasional "punishment for past sins.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 08:28 GMT (UK) »
A while back I learned of a man who, when his wife died,
remarried and moved to Australia.  The three children of
his first marriage were found in an English workhouse in
the next census.

Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 08:55 GMT (UK) »
The poll above seems to show that most people don't think we're moral than the Victorians. Do they believe the Victorians were more moral than we are? Or, like me, do they think human nature hasn't changed much either way?

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 08:56 GMT (UK) »
A while back I learned of a man who, when his wife died,
remarried and moved to Australia.  The three children of
his first marriage were found in an English workhouse in
the next census.
Kathleen

oh dear!
that's not very nice is it?  ::)

- Belinda.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 09:07 GMT (UK) »
The poll above seems to show that most people don't think we're moral than the Victorians. Do they believe the Victorians were more moral than we are? Or, like me, do they think human nature hasn't changed much either way?

Well, Lesley,

As one who voted as you outlined, I don't think human nature has changed much.  The Victorians proclaimed themselves to be very moral, but one doesn't have to dig too far below the surface to find that they weren't any more moral than we are.  I prefer honesty to disguise, myself!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 09:53 GMT (UK) »
  I prefer honesty to disguise, myself!

MarieC

Hear, hear!!

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Marie. 

Kathleen

England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS