Poll

Are we more moral now than our victorian ancestors

yes
6 (15.8%)
no
32 (84.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: victorian morality  (Read 8091 times)

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: victorian morality
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Prim & proper Victorians seem to have been a myth- contemporary newspapers are full of reports of crimes, Mayhew records sweat-shop workrs being forced into prostitution to feed themselves/their families.  Churches may have had middle -class congregants but really poor people were often illiterate with no real knowledge of religion. Add to this lot lousy housing, poor food & inadequate/un-affordable medicine why should they have been particularly moral
Maggott

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't think immorality has anything to do with class.
I just think the upper class's are better at it than me.

Paul

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Paul  Of course it doesn't, but 'upper class' people had less excuse for behaving badly as they -presumably- had been exposed to moral teaching at school or at a place of worship.  The poor s*ds at the bottom of the pile had more to bother about than behaving decently.  And yes, of course many of them lived respectable, hard-working lives. 
Maggott

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Good topic Steammill.

I like Polls !  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skymoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 November 07 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I have been having a giggle with myself since yesterday over this subject (although not technically Victorian).  It would appear my grandfather and great Uncle would have been born 'out of wedlock' at the beginning of the 1900's :o  I have had conversations with my mum about this who is adamant that I must get copies of their certificates (I agree) but is equally adamant there will be a fathers name on there (not so agree).  She says that her Grandmother MUST have married someone with the same surname as it was such a disgrace to have...and keep...children at that time when a woman wasnt married.  I won't even use the word she used to describe such an awful thing  ???  My problem is that when said birth certificates arrive how will I break the news to her if there isnt a fathers name on there  :D

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 November 07 09:55 GMT (UK) »
She says that her Grandmother MUST have married someone with the same surname as it was such a disgrace to have...and keep...children at that time when a woman wasnt married.  I won't even use the word she used to describe such an awful thing  ???  My problem is that when said birth certificates arrive how will I break the news to her if there isnt a fathers name on there  :D

My mum was the same when I first broke the news that not only was her mother illegitimate, but also a great many other members of her family. Mum had always believed we were 'poor but respectable' - and I was told I was the first to disgrace the family by 'having to get married'. Soon dispelled that myth!!

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 November 07 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if we're more or less moral - but we're a lot less hypocritical!

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 November 07 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if we're more or less moral - but we're a lot less hypocritical!

Monica

That seems to follow my ideas Monica  :)

In relation to the current level of births outside marriage from Stan - this is surely very much related to how people are now treated. When I was young it was considered that if a lass became pregnant her boyfriend would marry her as soon as possible - otherwise there was a high chance that the babe would be adopted. Apart from family there was very little support given to an unmarried mother.

I haven't found many children born outside of marriage in my Victorian families - but close to  50% of them appear to have had their first child less than 9 months after the marriage. In modern times, many of these marriages may not have taken place.

Trish

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 November 07 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I was told I was the first to disgrace the family by 'having to get married'. Soon dispelled that myth!!

So not disgracing the family, but upholding a family tradition.  ;)

Been there, done that!  :D 

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London