Author Topic: where do i go now?  (Read 951 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
where do i go now?
« on: Tuesday 27 November 07 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Quick question:~

How do i proceed forward (or backwards actually) from a baptisim for one of my relatives which says John Holman s/o John Holman and Mrs John Holman?

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where do i go now?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi toni

For a start, I'd work around it. What was the date of the baptism and where. Are there any other children baptised around that time that could be siblings. Did a John Holman marry +/- say 10 years of the baptism, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

its really early so i don't hold out much hope, John 1679 Kenwyn Cornwall, i don't have any siblings for him and only one child also called John bapt. 31.10.1702 Kenwyn (with wife Rose Dinnes who he married on 17 Feb 1701/02)
working forward he had a son called John 1721 and another called Thomas 1730 both Kenwyn
I don't doubt that i am missing children but i don't know how to confirm who belongs to me and more cruically to be able to work backwards to find his mothers name.

there are several John Holmans s/o John & Mrs John born around that time. 1679 Kenwyn (i have taken himas mine as the family stayed in Kenwyn for years)  1681 , 1670, just Cornwall
this one i think we can rule out John Holman s/o John Holman bapt. 19 March 1681/2 there was another entry also for 19 March 1862/3 - would this be to account for the calendar?

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Yep  - the new Year started in April then until 1752 when the Gregorian calendar was adopted here.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:21 GMT (UK) »
ok i knew there was something funny about the calendar back then  ;D
well i knew it had less months etc. wasn't sure of the dates when it changed to the same as now.

but it doesn't help they were all called John does it even the mother / wife it would seem.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I've found quite a few John's marrying 1660-1680 but none in Kenwyn. Problem is that she could have come from any of the surrounding parishes and they married there.

Any daughters to John, jnr?

Gadget

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Erm, actually, the new year started on 25 March (Lady Day) until 1752.  When you add 11 days to that (which got lost in the ether in 1752 when the calendar changed), that brings it to 6 April - the start of the financial year.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Got my Financials and my Lady's mixed up Nell - I knew that the budget was related in there somewhere. However, most old registers that I've looked at begin the year in April  :-\

Gadget

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:42 GMT (UK) »
is that why we have the start of the financial year on the 6th April? i didnt know that

i PMed you Gadget the first daughter that surfaces is Elizabeth b. 1769 to Thomas b. 1730,  John b. 1721 also had a daughter Elizabeth but his wife was called Elizabeth and their daughter was born i don't know when but she was under 24 in 1808.