Author Topic: Any ideas on this?  (Read 961 times)

Offline chesters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Any ideas on this?
« on: Wednesday 28 November 07 07:35 GMT (UK) »
[removed]
Dodd (Carden, Cheshire), Hodkinson (Chorley near Wrenbury, Cheshire), Reeves (Tilstock, Shropshire), Wynne (Stretton, Cheshire)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on this?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chesters

Could you explain why you think this is your Emma - what is the evidence?  And do you know what happened to Ann Reeves?  Have you been able to trace her on the censuses?  (She didn't marry William, did she??)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline chesters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 08:22 GMT (UK) »
[removed]
Dodd (Carden, Cheshire), Hodkinson (Chorley near Wrenbury, Cheshire), Reeves (Tilstock, Shropshire), Wynne (Stretton, Cheshire)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chesters,

Yes, I can see why you think this is your Emma!  She's a slippery female, isn't she!  :o :o ::)

Sounds to me as though your theory could be right, and she could be William's daughter, taken in by her grandparents.  I think this did happen reasonably often in Victorian times.  I don't know how you will ever prove it, though!   :( :(

Wonder if anyone else has a thought?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chesters,

I had a similar situation with my gggrandmother, her name on the census is listed as Hannah Williams from 1851 on wards...she also married under that name, using the name of the head of that family as her father.
None of the birth certificates I ordered matched him as the father though.

On further digging I found the description of relationship on the 1851 (with the help of  a fellow RC member) meant, related to the people next door (in Welsh), and not niece as  thought......but their surname was Edwards.
In all other census years she is listed as the Williams family daughter.

The Edwards were a very old couple and all their children had flown the nest in the 1841, but I did find a marriage of their son to a Hannah Edwards, so possibly my Hannah is one of her siblings children.
A Parish Record birth in this small village was  found in the name of Hannah Edwards, an illegitimate birth. ...mother Elizabeth Edwards.

Ambers

GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Milly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Chesters,

If Emma was in a small village have you tried looking through the parish registers? Sometimes the priest put in helpful comments.
Milly

Offline chesters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 December 07 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Milly, I have looked at her christening, but I think only the christenings, marriages and burials have been filmed for that parish. I will check next time I go to the record office though.

Thanks for sharing Ambers, at least mine aren't quite as common names as Williams and Edwards lol  ;D

Regards,
Chesters

Offline chesters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 December 07 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has had it the other way. Someone having being listed as grandchild on the census and turn out not to be related?

Chesters.