8 (6.3%)
They found my webpage
9 (7%)
I found their webpage
11 (8.6%)
Other
27 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Finding distant rellies  (Read 6269 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding distant rellies
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 December 07 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Glad to hear the visit was a success but I am so sorry about your dog.

It is very interesting about them being a friend of a friend. The distant relative I went to visit this summer had her son and DIL from California (3000 miles away) drop in when we were there, which in itself was wonderful, to meet more relatives, but they had just come from dropping their only daughter off at college not too far away. The funny thing is, it is a very small college and a close friend's daughter was also starting there. I am still waiting to hear if they have met yet.  :D

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Finding distant rellies
« Reply #37 on: Friday 07 December 07 03:00 GMT (UK) »
dee,

I'm truly sorry about Sophie.  As one who had to have a beloved animal put to sleep earlier in the year, I know just how you are feeling!

It's wonderful how comfort arises from various quarters, though.  And yes, good old Rootschat for putting you in touch with these people!  It's a great story.

Friend of a friend - hmmm, there's that theory about six degrees of separation - that within six linked contacts you can be in touch with anyone in the world.  Not sure that I believe it totally - but I think there's something in it!

Anyway, a site with as many members as Rootschat now has, will be sure to come up with some "friend of a friend" linkages, I'm sure!  (It hasn't worked for me yet, but I live in hope!  8) )

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland