8 (6.3%)
They found my webpage
9 (7%)
I found their webpage
11 (8.6%)
Other
27 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Finding distant rellies  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding distant rellies
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 November 07 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I have today been 'found' by a second cousin once removed!  This was through GR and they have served me well.  Several 3rd cousins 2 or 3 X removed but this one is the closest. 
GR does have some problems for people but still worth the money
Abiam

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 November 07 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Genes Reunited has mostly been a bust for me.  I don't have a membership, so there may be more hot matches that are actually matches but haven't contacted me yet.  I did find one person, but I'm not entirely sure how she connects to me and her info was on a lot of different sites.

Lost Cousins seems like such a good idea, but I've never had a match and I'm not holding my breath.

I've found a few people off of the trees and message boards on Ancestry.  One was the grandson of my grandmother's sister, so a fairly close cousin.  He had some cool old pictures.  I've found two cousins, one of which my mother knows in real life, from their trees on their own webpages.  I found a very distant cousin of my husband's on a MSN message board.

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 November 07 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I have found a second cousin (once removed) living around the corner from me!!  Also I have found, through US phonebooks, and the benefit of an unusual surname, a few distant cousins.  We have exchanged letters and photos, and I have received an 18 page autobiography of one of my ancestors from one of them!  So it's definitely worth seeking distant relatives out!
Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 November 07 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie,

I have accounts with both GR and Ancestry. The way I see it:

GenesReunited - Finding living people using dead people.

Ancestry - Finding dead people using living people.

RootsChat - The difficult stuff. :)

If you want to find living rellies, get a GR account. I have had dozens of contacts through GR including two second cousins, one third cousin snd umpteen fourths and above.

If you want to find out how and where your ancestors lived get an Ancestry account. Here you can firm up your conjectures with facts.

If you want anything else, come to RootsChat. :)

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 November 07 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Paul

That seems like a very good summation and recommendation - thanks!   :D

Elizabeth

I know very little about curiousfox.  I wonder if any other Rootschatters have had success with it?

GR is still well in the lead in the voting.  I do also think webpages are very valuable for finding living people, and this is showing up in the voting also!  Two of my most valuable contacts have come this way.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 November 07 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I found a 5th cousin through family search (and his address was the same as when he submitted his data to the LDS folks 15 years ago!) - he lives 20 minutes away.

I found a "surname" web site through google and the person who created the site put me in touch with 2 relatives (3/4 th cousins) one in NZ and one in Australia.

I found another website through a RootsChatter (who found it through google) and although a very distant connection, the website owner put me in touch with 2 more cousins - a third & a fourth - one in Canada, the other in Australia.

I have been contacted by a couple of other "cousins" who were given my name by a third party (snail mail even)

And writing this out - I didn't realise how quickly the numbers add up - I haven't joined any of the sites designed to find family, so if I had to name a method to find folks, I would think Google is close to the best option!

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 November 07 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Maria,

I entered loads into curiousfox only one came up
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline chesters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 December 07 08:10 GMT (UK) »
From what I can remeber most of mine were found from surname interest lists. I also found a couple from the ancestry family trees and one from a DNA project website.

Chesters
Dodd (Carden, Cheshire), Hodkinson (Chorley near Wrenbury, Cheshire), Reeves (Tilstock, Shropshire), Wynne (Stretton, Cheshire)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 December 07 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I think my most amazing contact resulted from a visit to the records office.  I was using a film for a particular village when the archivist appeared with another researcher who needed the same film.  I'm sure you can work out the rest  ;D

Pinetree

P.S.  I voted under "other" for that one!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk