Author Topic: Is this Boer War??  (Read 15805 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Boer War??
« Reply #45 on: Monday 03 December 07 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I hope this helps. Are they the same man? He has lost some weight if it is.

The second photography could be Frank in his Middlesex Volunteers uniform.

The lack of a QSA ribbon on the first photograph is a worry. Could this be his brother? As Neil says it is definitely 1903 or later. The rifle on the left looks like a Lee-Metford carbine. The one on the right looks like a Long Lee. These were only given to Regulars in 1900. Part-timers like these cyclists would have had to wait until 1908 when regulars received the first SMLEs. So my guess would be for 1908 on the break up of the unit. They would not normally take their medals to a camp, unless it was something special, like the last one.

Ken

PS: Small world...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volunteer-Force-LSGC-to-Pte-WJ-Potter-13th-Middx-V-R-C_W0QQitemZ200179355289QQihZ010QQcategoryZ101151QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for putting those two together. there is a marked resemblance between the two faces-especially around the mouth-but I cannot make up my mind if they are the same chap or not. As you say if they are the same person he lost weight. Not impossible if the pic of the lone soldier predates the unit pic- but not sure if he looks younger on it. It would be good if it was 2 brothers- I can find nothing at all on the other brother-and only have family unreliable memory for him being in Boer war as a Sharpeshooter.
Thanks again,
sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline harrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 29 April 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I've come very late to this .... came across the question by chance as I was researching the history of athletics in the Coventry area. A cycling battalion was formed for the Boer conflict as a small experimental expedition .. 'to ascertain the suitability of the bicycle in areas of conflict ... the machine being cheaper to operate than an animal over a period of time.' The unit was used as a quick response force, rather than for carrying messages etc.. On its return (I have the name of the ship with dates somewhere), the government placed an order for 300 (I will have to check this as well) with the Pioneer Cycle Company. During the early party of the century, a regular flow of patents were applied for to do with various adaptations to the bikes to make them more efficient for cycling. One was a clip mechanism for the rifle to be strapped to the cross bar. Two consequences of bicycle brigands post WW1 were the introduction of a new sport and the erection of a monument.