Author Topic: Jones Brick Wall  (Read 486 times)

Offline Maggiethemold

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones Brick Wall
« on: Wednesday 28 November 07 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've hit a brick wall trying to find the birthplace & parents of my husband's Grandfather, James Henry Jones. I have his marriage certificate which gives his father's name as Joseph and would indicate a year of birth as 1883, also his death certificate which also agrees with a birth year of 1883. Although I've sent for some birth certificates for that year my funds are somewhat limited and so far I have not obtained one that shows a father of the name Joseph.  I have no idea of where he was born however he married in Calver, Derbyshire but he gives as his residence Portsmouth. I've spoken to all living relatives but no one has been able to help. I've also posted my tree on Ancestry & Genes Reunited but still no help except for info I already had.  He served in the WWl but I do not know his regiment. His first two children were born in 1911 & 1912 in Portsmouth and his 3rd child in 1917 in Aberdare, Merthyr Tydfil, his 4th child in 1922 in Leeds. He survived his war service even though he was gassed. His occupation was a steam crane/engine driver.
I do not have his birthdate other than 1883 [if he has given his correct age on his marriage cert] and I have checked his burial records but they only give age 60 in 1943.  I have searched the census records via Ancestry but cannot find a James Henry Jones of that age living with a father Joseph. Where a child was shown only with a mother present in the household I have followed that family back in the censuses but still unable to find him. I've found one in Shropshire who is living with a Joseph Smart and shown as 'adopted son' in 1891 but he is not there in 1901 and the place of birth is shown as Lancs and the child is a couple of years older, however one of the birth certificates I've obtained for a James Henry Jones born in 1883 is for Wellington, Shropshire to a Jane Jones who is in the Workhouse, the child also being born there.  I do not know if he had any brothers or sisters.
I was hoping War records may help as his wife & children may be listed but as I do not know his regiment I've not got anywhere there yet. I've checked the records Ancestry have now put on line but haven't found him amongst them.

Any ideas anyone. Thanks

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Brick Wall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

What is James' wife's name?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Maggiethemold

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Brick Wall
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Alice Compton, she was born 27 May 1887 in Calver, Derbyshire and I've been able to find her family in the census records. I was lucky to have her birth certificate amongst the papers my husband inherited from his parents, although at first we didn't know who she was! From that we managed to find the marriage and the births of the children.