Author Topic: Radway Green  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Solney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Radway Green
« on: Wednesday 28 November 07 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of people working at Radway Green ROD Munitions Factory, near Alsager, Cheshire 1939 to 1945. Very keen to make contact with anyone who remebers Fred Steele or Nelly Adshead. Particularly LH Smith or M Coates who witnessed their wedding in Crewe on 2/4/1947

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Re: Radway Green
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 07 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I will ask my mother who worked on the switchboard there for a while around 1941 ish.  My grandfather also worked there.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I should have welcomed you to Rootschat.  I'm sure that you will find everyone helpful and friendly on here. 

Haven't mentioned Radway Green yet to my mother, but I will do so soon and get back to you.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Solney

I had a word with my mother who is sorry but she didn't know anyone of those names.  She worked on the switch board of the hostel and it was a very long time ago!!

Good luck with your search.
Ellen

Offline Solney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for asking anyway. What was the name of the hostel? It may match my Mother's address on Marriage Cert.
Only realised recently that there were 15,000 people working at Radway Green at peak, producing 15million 303 cartridges per week!
Regards

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I'll ask her if there was a name for the hostel.  It later turned into what is now the teacher training college in Alsager.

Ellen

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 May 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
According to the Accident Books I've just referenced under Cheshire Resources, the hostel was called Heathside.

I'm an incomer so am not certain, but I believe that the site is now occupied by the University.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 May 08 17:05 BST (UK) »
Just found it on www.old-maps.co.uk - there's a 1951 version.  Yes, it is the University site now.

Looking at the recent OS map, it looks like some of the buldings are still in use, though Google Earth shows the H-shaped blocks to have been redeveloped.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline luciana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 January 11 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellen,
You mother worked on the switchboard at Radway Green? That's really interesting.  I am starting to research the Royal Ordinance Factory during the war, particularly from the point of view of women; both who were Alsager residents and those brought in from the surrounding towns to work in the factory. Rather cheeky, I know, but do you think your mum would mind sharing some of her memories and experiences?
Thanks