Author Topic: St Helena Island South Atlantic to England  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Digas1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Helena Island South Atlantic to England
« on: Wednesday 28 November 07 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how I could find when My GGGrandmother arrived in England from St Helena and which ship she arrived on.  She may have gone via S Africa.

Her Name is Henrietta Thomas and she married Thomas Kelly 1879.
Hollingshead (Derby), Kelly (Liverpool), Thomas (St Helena), Gaskell (Pemberton)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Helena Island South Atlantic to England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 07 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Inward passenger lists are not indexed and also start in 1878.  http://www.sthelena.se/genealog/genealog.htm - according to this there are no passenger lists for arrivals in St. Helena either.

It seems like Thomas Kelly was a mariner - perhaps if you traced his career you could find out if he sailed on any ships going to St. Helena, and perhaps brought her back from there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Digas1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Helena Island South Atlantic to England
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 07 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Yes Thomas Kelly was a mariner but I can't find anything about him before his marriage to Henrietta.  I thought perhaps if I could find at least one ship that he sailed on then the clues might start emerging.  Family lore says that Henrietta met him on board the ship but what was she doing on the ship in the first place?  I have found 2 of her brothers in America, 1 sailing from SA and wondered if Henrietta was in the care of her brothers and got side tracked!  I really don't think it was the done thing for a young woman to travel on her own in the last part of the 1800's.  It's very frustrating.  The shipping records are a really big brick wall.
Hollingshead (Derby), Kelly (Liverpool), Thomas (St Helena), Gaskell (Pemberton)