Author Topic: Who is my Grandad?  (Read 5534 times)

Offline lildav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who is my Grandad?
« on: Wednesday 28 November 07 20:44 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather John William Davies born c 1885, I know not where. An elderly relative said she thought he was illegitimate and that his mum left Wales when pregnant and came to England. He married my Grandmother 27th Jan 1909 in Bolton, Lancashire. (I have the original cert but his fathers name and occupation have lines through them) I have his Pedlars Certificate from 21st March 1931 saying he is 45. He served in 2nd World War, was shot but I don't know his regiment. He had two sisters Lilly (married a Lally) and Ethel (married a Boydell and had a carpet shop in Atherton Lancashire). Don't know the sisters maiden names or his mothers christian name. He lived in Westhoughton, Lancashire from his marriage and died 20th Feb 1968 aged 83. No family members know anything more than this. Pleaseeeeee help. I am going up the wall!!!! Thanks in anticipation.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who is my Grandad?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

Were the sisters older or younger than John William ?

Do you know the full names of who they married?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
There is this marriage
Dec qtr 1918
Joshua Boydell
Ethel Davies
Leigh
8c 449

leigh reg district covers Atherton

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi lildav,

First of all - a very warm welcome to RootsChat!   I've tried to narrow it down a bit but there are an awful lot of 'ifs'!

If he was 45 on 21 March 1931 he would be born between 22 March 1885 - 21 March 1886.  If he was born in Lancashire and if his name was John William (as opposed to William John), then these are the only births I've found registered in the period:

John William Davies:
Jan-Mar 1885   Wigan      8c   Page 41
Apr-Jun 1885   Salford    8d   Page 91
Apr-Jun 1885   West Derby   8b   Page 294
Jul-Sep 1885   Haslingden   8e   Page 93
Oct-Dec 1885   Toxteth Park   8b   Page 254
Jan-Mar 1886   Manchester   8d   Page 301

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorkshire Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 07 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the Achieve Services for Bolton Lancashire.

My Grandad was born illegitimately in Leeds and they found his birth date, mothers name, baptism date and most important they gave me his fathers name. He was born in the Union infirmary and the authorities asked the mother for the fathers name so they could claim funds back from him, even though the father was not named on his birth cert.

It's worth a try.

Polly

Offline lildav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 07 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Many thanks for the speedy replies.
Suz, I think the sisters were younger than John William. That seems to be the Ethel marriage.

Pauline,  That seem to be her.

Jill, Thanks for the welcome, I sure need help as I have only been doing this for about a year. I have the entries you sent and some others from places other than Lancashire but apart from getting all the birth certs I don.t know how to take it further.

Polly, I have been in Bolton Archives but I only looked up church records. Seems I should go back and ask for help.

Great site. Glad I joined. Dont feel on my own now. Best regards Lilian

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 07 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lilian!

I was just wondering about  a couple of things....

You said WW2? Was that right, since he would have been of age to serve in WW1 too?

On his 1909 marriage, what was the address he married from and the names of the witness'? Something may perhaps lead back to the 1901 from these?

Are you able to make any part of the crossed out writing, regarding father's name and occupation - very possible the name was his stepfather?

Out of interest, I think that Joshua BOYDELL from the above marriage to an Ethel DAVIES,  could be a 4 year old in the 190,  living in Leigh. His father same name was a Grocer.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 07 10:49 GMT (UK) »
There is this marriage
Dec qtr 1918
Joshua Boydell
Ethel Davies
Leigh
8c 449

leigh reg district covers Atherton

Suz

if you could order this marriage cert it would tell you how old Ethel was and also her fathers name this would help to trace her hopefully on the 1901 census , without a father or mothers name it is very difficult as Davies is a popular name as you can imagine.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive