Author Topic: Marriage records  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Jigsaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage records
« on: Thursday 29 November 07 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Can any one help? I am trying to find the marriage records of my Grandfather Alexander Ernest Wrist (Bn abt. 1860 in Surrey, died 1946 in Battersea) and Eliza(died 1947 Newton Abbott, maiden name unknown) They had 13 children. My father William was born in 1901 and died in 1986. I have searched the fbmd records with no luck. I think that Alexander was a Corporal in the Yorkshire regiment ( possbly military police) but I do not know when and was a baker when my father was young. Could the records be in some sort of military record? Thank you.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 07 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jigsaw

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

You probably need to consult the full indexes, rather than freebmd which is still incomplete.

If you obtained your father's birth cert, that would give you his mother's maiden name, which would help.

Any idea when the first child was born?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 07 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I wonder??

Marriage

WRIST Alexander E

Croydon 2a 762

Sep q 1910 (sic)

But unfortunately

Other names on page

HACKMAN Annie A

OGDEN Fanny M

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I see they are already married in 1901 - do you have the details of the census?

The eldest child is 9 then, which would suggest a marriage c 1891- possibly in Lambeth as that is where Alexander jr was born, or Putney which is where Eliza came from.

In 1891 Alexander sr is in Lambeth, married but alone.

I can't see Eliza at the moment ...

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 07 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I wonder??

Marriage

WRIST Alexander E
Croydon 2a 762
Sep q 1910 (sic)
But unfortunately
Other names on page
HACKMAN Annie A
OGDEN Fanny M

This marriage was probably that of Alexander junior to Fanny Odgen.

There are several later birth registrations where the mother's maiden name is Odgen:
Arthur E Wrist - June quarter 1913, Woolwich
Eileen B Wrist - March quarter 1915, Hendon
Joan K Wrist - March quarter 1921, Wandsworth
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 07 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jigsaw

I can see why you think your grandfather may have been in the Yorkshire Regiment at some point, but this may turn out to be incorrect.

In the 1901 Census there is an Alexander Wrist, listed as a private in the Yorkshire Regt living in the Sheffield Barracks in Nether Hallam. The trouble is, he is only 18 years old and born in Fulham. [RG 13/4345 folio 167 page 13] Confusingly enough, his full name was Alexander Ernest Wrist! [Birth registered 1883 in Fulham]

Clearly this person was not your grandfather (or even his son) as the age is completely wrong. Additionally, your own family were living elsewhere at the time - Fulham as it happens!

Dave

PS.

Just a note of some of the Census references in case I lose them:
1861 Banstead - RG 9/416 folio 8 page 14 - Alexander with parents James and Mary.
1871 Streatham  - RG 10/718 folios 44-45 pages 8-9 - ditto
1881 Wandsworth - RG 11/659 folio 96 page 16 - Father James with second wife. No Alexander.
Can't find Alexander in 1881.
Can't find him 1891 either - Arranroots do you have the ref?
1901 Fulham - RG 13/68 folio 75 page 17 - Alexander with wife Eliza
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 November 07 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Yes, I realised that the marriage was either a second marriage or a son, once I had done a bit more research!  :-[

Sorry I can't access the 1891 at the moment, but I seem to remember they were WREST ...  ::) :P

;)

Offline Jigsaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 07 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all you are being so helpful I had almost given up on the search but you have opened new windows for me. I do not have Dads birth certificate but I have a cousin who will have her mothers ( Dads sister) so Elizas maiden name should be on there.  Dave, Why do you say that Alexander E. born in 1883 could not be the son of Alexander E. born in 1860. The Alexander E married in 1910 was I think Dads elder brother, I seem to remember his daughters, Eileen and Joan, although I was only little , I did not come along untill 1948

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 November 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
There were two Alexander Wrists born in the space of 8 years: Alexander Ernest in 1883 and Alexander (son of Alexander Ernest and Eliza) in 1891 (he is aged only 9 in the 1901 census and listed with his parents).  Alexander born in Fulham area in 1883 is in Yorkshire in 1901 - in the Yorkshire Regiment!  :) 

Nell

Birth of Alexander Ernest was registered in Epsom RD Mar qtr 1860 2a 3

:-[  I've just realised Dave has already said this.  I'd better go back to sleep.  :-\
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk