Author Topic: Would someone from Guernsey have been entitled to vote in the 1930's...?  (Read 604 times)

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Would someone from Guernsey have been entitled to vote in the 1930's...?
« on: Friday 30 November 07 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Yet another exciting chapter in the trail of my gt-grandmother, with the discovery that she shared a house in Montpelier Street Brighton in the 1930's with another man.  This may well have been quite innocent, as I've just had a look at the house in question, two floors and a basement in a well-to-do terrace; so they may simply have had a floor each, with the house divided into two.
However, looking through both the Directories and Electoral Rolls of the time, the gentleman H.F.M. was living there from at least 1927 until at least 1939-40 (according to the Directories - there are no more between 1940 and 1949).  My gt-grandmother was living there according to the Directories between 1931/2 and 1936/7, then appears to move.  (I have picked her up in the later 1930's in Sussex Square).
However, only my ancestor appears in the Electoral Rolls of 1932, 1933 and 1936 at that shared address
Having looked up previous details of H.F.M on earlier Censuses, I see that his family came from Guernsey, even though he himself was born in Stoke Newington (baptised there in 1870 by his father, the vicar).
So, how did Guernsey fit into the political franchise in the 1930's...?
keith

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Would someone from Guernsey have been entitled to vote in the 1930's...?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 07 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

If they were both listed in the same directory at any time then, like you I presume, I would assume that they were two separate households.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Would someone from Guernsey have been entitled to vote in the 1930's...?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 07 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Casalguidi,
Yes, I'm imagining that they perhaps had separate parts of the house.  My gt-grandmother was always accommodated in flats whenever I have tracked her down - 4 addresses in London, and now a third address in Brighton,
keith