Author Topic: Ruanes of Ballina, Co. Mayo  (Read 12498 times)

Offline MishL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ruanes of Ballina, Co. Mayo
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the kind advice and links… we are in Ballina on holiday right now. We are visiting the graves tomorrow, which I managed to find in Leigue Cemetery, (plot: 3084). The thing I’ve been struggling most with, is trying to find Mary Commins/Commons date and place of birth.

Offline Vella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 09:05 BST (UK) »
To MishL,
Thank you so much for your message. I've not done any serious research on the Ruanes for a while as my Ancestry membership doesn't cover Ireland so I was excited to read your post. We have a few old photographs of the Ruane family but we don't know who is who!
My husband is the descendent via his grandfather Michael Ruane (Later Rowan) and Michael's daughter Mary who lived in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Thankyou.
Sylvia W
Suffolk: Levett, King
London: Diaper, Shephard, Worth, Fletcher, Castleman
Ruane (Rowan)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 09:31 BST (UK) »

Vella,

The posting of e-mail addresses is forbidden here on RootsChat, so you will have to remove your email address to avoid spamming, internet abuse, identity abuse etc.

This has been reported to a Moderator.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MishL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 11:57 BST (UK) »
I actually made a mistake in my original post.

First of all apologies that I mentioned living descendants, rookie error and I reported it to the moderator to help me remove it.

Secondly, my great grandfather Anthony Ruane is not Anthony from Edward Ruane. The more I have researched the more I have pieced together. He is Anthony from Patrick Ruane. Both Anthony’s were born in 1886 and from Ballina.

Patrick Ruane b. 1853 in (xxx ? area) married Mary (xxx ?last name) (from xxx ?area) on (date, place)..

Their sons were:

1. Patrick
2. Anthony (6th May 1886)
3. John
4. William
5. Martin

Anthony Ruane b. 1886, married Mary Commons/Commins on 15th June 1922 (Thursday)
and had the following children:

1. Mary (May) Ellen b. 1922
2. Annie b. Dec, 1923
3. John b. 1925
4. Joseph. ? AKA Michael (died as a child of meningitis)
5. Pat b. 1927
6. Eileen b. 1929
7. Anthony (Tony)
8. Martin
9. James
10. Frank
11. Kathleen (died as a child of gastroenteritis)

They initially lived on St Muredach's Terrace, then later they lived on Bunree Road, Ballina (we think number 3). They kept a pig here and chickens in the back garden. They would fetch water from the spring well, spilling from the wall at the bottom of the steps of the river Brusna opposite. Separately to the family home, they had a small quarry on some land in Ballina and kept dairy cows on there and they had the contract for repairing the pot holes in the road.

When my Grandma (May), was a little girl. Her and her siblings would milk the cows before school, then walk 6 miles to school. After school, they would have to weed the pot holes, so that their Dad Anthony could fill them with the chipping from the quarry. They had a huge cart horse called Paddy, who would pull a cart of aggregate for the repair work. My Grandma and her sister Annie would knock on doors and sell raw milk, they would carry jugs and go door to door topping up peoples milk jugs. When they got tips, they would hide the pennies in a hole in the wall to save them up. When they had enough, then on Sunday after church, they would go to ‘Tobins’? Shop on the end of Bunree Road and buy themselves some sweets.

Anthony d. 25th Feb 1945 - buried at Leigue Cemetery, (plot: 3084)
Mary d. (Unsure of exact date) in 1970 - buried in the same grave at Leigue Cemetery, (plot: 3084)

Years later after Anthony and Mary had died, the eldest son of Patrick (Anthony’s older brother), John built a small farmhouse on the land and lived there until he died. He had a housekeeper called McBride, who ‘took’ ownership of the land when he died, so it was lost to the family and we don’t really know what happened next.

The things I’d like to find out most, is my great Nana Mary (Commins) date of birth. We know that Anthony was apparently about 40 years old when he married her and was apparently a lot older. My Grandma said it was controversial at the time because the Commins were relatively wealthy and they disowned her fro marrying Anthony and refused to pay the dowry. So I’m curious to learn how big the age gap was?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 April 24 16:42 BST (UK) »

Anthony Ruane married Mary Commons on 15 June 1922 at Ballina RC Cathedral.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1923/09177/5318904.pdf

The thing I’ve been struggling most with, is trying to find Mary Commins/Commons date and place of birth.

Her father was Michael Commons according to the marriage certificate.

Michael Commons with daughter Mary - 1911 census
House 49 in Breaghwy (Ardnaree South, Mayo).
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Ardnaree_South/Breaghwy/698507/

In 1901 census aged 7
House 51 in Breaghny (Ardmaree South, Mayo).
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Ardmaree_South/Breaghny/1570564/

.....to be continued

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 April 24 16:45 BST (UK) »

Michael Commons married Bridget Naughton on 14 March 1894 at Ballina RC Church. Both bride and groom living in the townland of Breaffy [sic] (Breaghwy).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1939/08867/5206639.pdf

Mary Commons born 15 January 1895 at Breaffy [sic].   MMN Naughton
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02212/1834985.pdf

Youngest sister Alice Commons born 10 September 1907 at Breaffy [sic].
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1907/01673/1665722.pdf

Breaghwy townland SE of the town of Ballina.
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/tireragh/kilmoremoy/ardnaree-south-rural/breaghwy/

Offline MishL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 April 24 16:56 BST (UK) »
I’m blown away, thank you so much for all you kind research and help!  :)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:10 BST (UK) »

You're very welcome, MishL  :D