Author Topic: Richard William/Williams or Richard1841 Talyllin  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Llwyn Onn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard William/Williams or Richard1841 Talyllin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lily
I have been researching Richard Williams' family as I believe I am related to his wife Catherine (Jones) born in Llanymawddwy - a 1st cousin of my grt. grandfather. I know that they married March 1/4 1851 in East London. My family has kept the centenery booklet of the chapel in Charing Cross Road. Richard Williams went to London to work as a supervisor for Morgan Jones, Slate Merchant (who went to London 1845). The family was in contact with Howel J. Williams (son of Richard and Catherine).
Are you able to confirm that Catherine's parents were Margaret and John (as you have the marriage certificate) ?

Offline lilyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 August 09 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there
How exciting to meet a Williams/Jones connection!
Marriage certs only show father's names and Catherine's was John Jones, occupation Shoemaker.
I have plenty of info on the family of Richard and Catherine. Please feel free to pm me if you would like some more info.
My great grandmother was their daughter Margaret.
I would love to know more about the Jones side . And quite frankly I'd love a gander at the booklet if we can arrange that. Richard was a Deacon of the Welsh Chapel. His father , William Richard, was Deacon of Rehoboth chapel in Corris, Merionethshire.
Was Morgan Jones your g grandfather? I would love to hear more.
I just got back from a trip to the Corris area.
I haven't found Catherine on either the Welsh or English 1841 census (on later censuses she gives her birthplace as Dinas Mawddy), nor have I found a baptism record, so I know very little about her.
Lilyj

Offline Llwyn Onn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 August 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Lily
Just the proof I have been looking for at long last! I've also had difficulty tracing Catherine's parents and wondered whether they would have emigrated. However, I found her birth and baptism in the records of Ebenezer Congregational Chapel, Dinas Mawddwy.
Catherine, daughter of John Jones, Shoemaker, by Margaret his wife of Llwyn Onn in the Parish of Llanymawddwy born 14th and baptized 17th of April 1819. During my research I have learnt that John Jones was a very talented person and an excellent singer - and I have found that Mary Jane (a sister of your grt. grandmother) was a teacher + Vocalist RAM (Music). Do you know anything about her after 1881?
Catherine's mother, Margaret (Roberts), was a sister to Barbara - my grtgrt grandmother.
I am new to RootsChat - registered because I read your query! What do you mean by 'feel free to pm me'?
By the way, the booklet mentioned is in Welsh. Do you live in Wales?

Offline lilyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 August 09 16:20 BST (UK) »
Llywn Onn

Long last proof for me too-I had had the IGI record for Catherine Jones on hold for about 10 years! Ther seems to be a possible brother too on the IGI Rowland Jones. Can you confirm that?
"feel free to pm me" refers to the personal message system on the board. We can exchange personal messages. I will send you a pm about it and you will get a notification about it in your email.. I think you have to have posted 3 times before you can use it.

I have some census records ,monumental inscriptions and newspaper articles about the family.
My knowledge is through research as I didn't even know they existed until I began my family history.

I live in Canada and I do not speak Welsh. I have been using a Welsh translation site on the internet to read the Welsh documents I have found and can more or less get the gist of them that way.

Mary Jane married a Presbyterian minister Thomas Griffith Owen from  Montgomeryshire . They moved to Liverpool and had 2 children. She is still in Liverpool on the 1911 census.
I'm sending you a pm
lilyj

Ps Using the translation site, am I right in thinking that Llwyn Onn means Ash Grove?

Offline lilyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 August 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
Just to add: we may be related  through Margaret and Barbara Robert's parents.

I got it wrong in the pm I sent to you

lilyj

Offline Llwyn Onn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 August 09 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lily
I have found William Richard (born c1795) living at 'Rehoboth', Corris 1841, wife Mary and children Richard, Howel and Mary. In 1851, William was a widower living at 'Chapel House', Corris with his daughter Mary. It is interesting to see that William was born in Mallwyd (i.e. Dinas Mawddwy area)!