Author Topic: LINFITT at Mr. Chapman's Academy, Cotherstone  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LINFITT at Mr. Chapman's Academy, Cotherstone
« on: Saturday 01 December 07 12:34 GMT (UK) »
John LINFITT, a staymaker, died in London in 1786.  His son Joseph, a prominent keeper of a City coaching inn, died in London in 1822.  The single clue as to their origins is the fact that Joseph left record that he had been educated at Mr. Chapman's Academy, at Cotherstone in Yorkshire (now County Durham). 

Is anyone aware of a history or records of the school (local library and record office knew nothing of the place) that might aid me in my continuing search for the family's provincial origins?  Thank you.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LINFITT at Mr. Chapman's Academy, Cotherstone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 December 07 12:58 GMT (UK) »
If you google chapman+cotherstone you will get a few interesting hits.
Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 December 07 14:47 GMT (UK) »
If you google chapman+cotherstone you will get a few interesting hits.
Jennifer

A search of Google books is also worth a look. I assume you have a copy of John Linfitt's PCC will? Most of the Linfitts on the IGI seem to have come from Yorkshire.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 December 07 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks for your helpful suggestions regarding these queries.  I shall get back onto Google immediately.  Recent attempts came to naught, so there is obviously something I am missing or newly posted.
I do have John LINFITT's will, but there is no hint as to his origins, and he metions no more relations than his own four children.  I will persist!
In sincere gratitude, J.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 December 07 16:33 GMT (UK) »

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 December 07 17:14 GMT (UK) »
There is also a reference to a Cotherstone Academy here http://forum.sailingnavies.com/viewtopic.php?=&p=4217 (about half way down the page - not necessarily the one you are looking for,  but interesting nonetheless.)

Also see http://www.c-parr.freeserve.co.uk/Romaldkirk/walks.htm , last paragraph refers to a school in Cotherstone 'like Dotheboys Hall'.  Which leads to this http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/78190

Had you thought of searching (or requesting a lookup in) The Times Online or The London Gazette? The latter is certainly free to search http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?GeoType=London

Hope these are of help.

Jennifer

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 December 07 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful sites!  Thank you so much.  I must now try to determine whether the farmhouse you directed me to was once the Academy of Mr. Chapman.
In sincere gratitude, J.

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 07 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Amazing finds, Jennifer!  Huge thank you! 

Have now found on the JUSTOR website that there is an article regarding Charles Dickens' experience of the Yorkshire schools, with specific mention of Mr. Chapman's teaching methods at the Academy at Cotherstone.  However, I cannot access the article without membership of very specific educational establishments!

For your interest, the following advertisement comes from 'The Times of London', in 1821, mentioning my forebear, Joseph LINFITT:

At Mr. G. CHAPMAN’S ACADEMY, Cotherstone, near Barnard’s Castle, Yorkshire, Young GENTLEMEN, from parents of respectability, are BOARDED, Clothed, and (without exception) treated in every respect the same as Mr. Chapman’s own family, also instructed in the English, Latin, and Greek languages, writing, arithmetic, bookkeeping, and mathematics.  Terms, including the above, 20 guineas [about £1,475 today] per annum: pupils learning French language are regularly attended by a native of Paris, at 10s. 6d. [about £37 today] per quarter: music by professor 10s. 6d. ditto.  No vacations.  No entrance money required. Cards, with further references and other particulars, can be had of gentlemen, who through kind treatment to youth and unremitted attention to forward education, are anxious to recommend: Mr. Linfitt (who was educated at the above academy), and can be spoken to daily between the hours of 10 and 3, at the Swan coach-office, Ladd-lane, or at his residence, Angel and Crown tavern, Wood-street, Cheapside; Mr. Ford, at his Countinghouse, Bagnio-court, bottom of Newgate-street; or of Mr. Greenwood, 89, Chalton-street, Somers-town, who has been seeing his sons, new under Mr. Chapman’s care, and will take charge of young gentlemen going to the above academy, previous to the 23d instant.  Applications will meet with due attention.

In sincere gratitude for your interest and great assistance, J.

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 December 07 19:37 GMT (UK) »
It does sound very like Dotherboys Hall ...... I hope it wasn't!  ???

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.