Author Topic: Tilery shop/Tweedy buildings  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Tilery shop/Tweedy buildings
« on: Saturday 01 January 05 11:07 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather Thomas James Murray husband of Lillian Mann died in 1930 . His place of death is recorded as Tweedy buildings, South Newsham and his residence as the Tilery Shop also South newsham. Any information on either of these premises appreciated.
The death informant was T J Duffy, brother in law of 11 double row south newsham. info on this family connection will also be gratefully recieved.
Thanks  :)
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline diva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tilery shop/Tweedy buildings
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 January 05 19:01 GMT (UK) »
My missing great uncle is a Thomas J. Murray.  I have no idea what happened to him after he attended his father's funeral in 1923.  He was born in St. Monance, Fife, in about 1893, father's name James Thomas Murray,  mother Margaret Gerrard Murray.
Any connection?
Thanks, Diva

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 05 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diva,
My grandfather was born in Newsham Northumberland in 1899. His dad was John James Murray and mother Eleanor. So I'm sorry but, no connection.
Pete
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 15:10 GMT (UK) »
fremund,

A couple of snippets that might help ( or not)

South Newsham was name of area around Newsham Colliery ( the Hannah Pit) and towards the sea . ( Got it's name as it was in the southern part of the "Township of Newsham", one of Earsdon Parish's 8 "townships".)

As Blyth developed, this "township" became known as "Newsham and South Blyth"

There used to be a thriving tile-making industry within that township ( in fact the community, where tiles were made was called "Tile Sheds.)

But Tweedy Buildings, now Tweedy Street, is in  today's Cowpen Village.

But I have a couple of sources to persue.. watch this space.

Michael Dixon

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 05 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Michael,
Interesting info. will watch in anticipation.
Cheers
Pete

Offline Kenaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 November 21 07:04 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather Thomas James Murray husband of Lillian Mann died in 1930 . His place of death is recorded as Tweedy buildings, South Newsham and his residence as the Tilery Shop also South newsham. Any information on either of these premises appreciated.
The death informant was T J Duffy, brother in law of 11 double row south newsham. info on this family connection will also be gratefully recieved.
Thanks  :)

I realise this is an old thread, but did you find much information? My ancestors lived at Tilery cottage (Laws), which seemed to be close to the shop. I think I have located both on a map.