Author Topic: The past is a different country. They do things differently there - Part 2  (Read 31171 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The past is a different country. They do things differently there - Part 2
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Don't think I posted this before - my best Christmas present ever - my first train set!

meles

and I'm still waiting for mine  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I always wanted a train set but because I was a girl, it wasn't seen as appropriate  :(  I had to have dolls ..........................or nurse and doctors stuff.

I did manage to get a Chemistry set later on though  :)

It's inteesting how these gender specific presents were so ingrained into our (well mine) parents psyches. My niece bought her firstborn,  a son, dolls  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Don't think I posted this before - my best Christmas present ever - my first train set!

meles

and I'm still waiting for mine  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I always wanted a train set but because I was a girl, it wasn't seen as appropriate  :(  I had to have dolls ..........................or nurse and doctors stuff.

I did manage to get a Chemistry set later on though  :)

It's inteesting how these gender specific presents were so ingrained into our (well mine) parents psyches. My niece bought her firstborn,  a son, dolls  :)

Gadget

Hi Gadget
I had one of them, could make stink bombs ;D ;D ;D
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 21:38 GMT (UK) »
......It's interesting how these gender specific presents were so ingrained into our (well mine) parents psyches.
Gadget

;D ;D ;D  I got a six-shooter and a WAF's outfit once my parents clued in that I completely ignored dolls and such but I still got the girly stuff from aunties...

I saved up and bought my own chemistry set  ;D ;D ;D
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

indiapaleale

« Reply #255 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I got my train set for my 50th birthday from Mr Indi...and we have had great fun playing with it!....and sometime...on rare occasions, I let the granddaughters touch it!

Yes...I always wanted boy's gifts...they had stuff that was so much cooler and more fun that the girls stuff......I hated dolls.....but now have come to love doll houses which Mr Indi and I build from scratch.

I stopped believing in Father Christmas when I saw Dad drinking the glass of Johnny Walker that had been left in the hearth for the jolly fat man!  :(

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I desperately wanted a meccano set when I was 8 but I did get a magnet and giro in my stocking many moons later i got the precious meccano    for my maths class! You'd be surprised how much maths can betaught with a meccano set
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Thursday 13 December 07 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Why doesn't it surprise me that Ricky made stink bombs !

I love the idea of Indy playing with her train set on her 50th !    Hope you still play with it, often !

I had presents of dolls and associated girly stuff, but after Christmas I used to adapt it to male type games.  I loved pretending I was a pirate or a cowboy; dolls tea set was used by my cowboys camp fire of twigs as billy cans, and dolly became my cowboy 'pardner' !  I remember horrifying Granny once by pretending to stab dolly with my pirates sword (the fire poker !)  I was a blood thirsty child !   But VERY well brought up, I hasten to add !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk