Author Topic: How Did People Move Around???  (Read 3440 times)

Offline rich23434565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: How Did People Move Around???
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 December 07 22:20 GMT (UK) »
There is another reason for movement.  He may have been employed by a landowner who had several estates and moved to another estate because he was offered a cottage for him and his new wife there.

Oh yes. I hadn't thought of that but it sounds very plausible! They definitely settled there though as Giles Cripps's son, also a blacksmith, and *his* son, another blacksmith, as well as his son in turn, a yeoman by now, all lived in Winson. There were Cripps living there until the end of the 19th century.
London (Stepney, Hackney, Lambeth): Hayden, Jones, De Brader, Detenon
France & The Netherlands (Amsterdam): Detenon, De Brader, Slingerland, Goetje, Fokke
Ireland: Hayden, Mealey/Mealy
India: Padam
Gloucestershire: Cripps, Morse, Heaven, Timbrell, Draper, Olliffe, Adeane, Young, Goodrich
Hampshire: Voller
Sussex: Wenham, Rogers
Derbyshire: Lacey, Thompson

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How Did People Move Around???
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 December 07 10:33 GMT (UK) »
People did move around - I have Gloucestershire ancestors. For example, Richard Child born in Upton St Leonards in 1636 was apprenticed to John Martin a baker in Gloucester in 1651, married Elizabeth Elton in Ledbury (Herefordshire) in 1662 and then set up as a baker in Minchinhampton where he died in 1678. Previously to setting up on his own the family  had been tenants/servants to the local land owning family the Robins, and one of their daughters married into a family at Minchinhampton, which I think, may give the link.

Was Giles Cripps apprenticed to anyone?

Gloucester will for Giles Cripps of Great Rissington 1676/181 and an earlier one for Giles Cripps of Clapton on the Hill 1633/37?

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.