Author Topic: How Did People Move Around???  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How Did People Move Around???
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 December 07 19:20 GMT (UK) »
There were traders, and tallymen who travelled the length and breadth of the country and would know where there was any jobs going.

The housekeepers at the big houses used to gain a lot of knowledge from these men, through them the news spread to the families of the maidservants and male staff.

Then there were the tinkers who used to go around mending pots and pans, or sharpening knives and scissors for people.

lots of ways of spreading the news  good as well as bad.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 December 07 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Parishes on high ground often escaped the worst of the Plague, so it might be worth looking for low-lying parishes around the valleys for earlier generations.

Also, a great many people fled from London westwards towards Oxford - those who could afford to anyway - but this exodus didn't start until the plague took hold in London around May/June 1665.

Don't forget the "black hole" for records during the Commonwealth (1649-1660) which could make it impossible to find the marriage!

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline g a r

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 December 07 19:46 GMT (UK) »
there are thses possibles from the IGI and an accompanying map showing placement relative to each other

Have you eliminated all of these?

Offline rich23434565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 December 07 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi gar

I think I've eliminated most of those. The 1636 Giles Cripps seemed good until I checked the original register and discovered that he died in infancy   :'(  The one for Abt. 1680 is my gtx-something grandfather, bapt. at Winson in 1682 and the son of the Giles Cripps I'm hunting for. The 1610 Giles at Poulton also seemed hopeful but unfortunately the parish register only start in the 1680s and the bishop's transcripts are extremely fragmentary. And 1610 is a bit too early for someone who died in 1709, unless it was Giles's father. That leaves us with Fairford and Great Rissington. There's a big Cripps family at Great Rissington throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. The problem is that I just don't think I can connect them to my Cripps family. Hmm...I'll have to try harder!
London (Stepney, Hackney, Lambeth): Hayden, Jones, De Brader, Detenon
France & The Netherlands (Amsterdam): Detenon, De Brader, Slingerland, Goetje, Fokke
Ireland: Hayden, Mealey/Mealy
India: Padam
Gloucestershire: Cripps, Morse, Heaven, Timbrell, Draper, Olliffe, Adeane, Young, Goodrich
Hampshire: Voller
Sussex: Wenham, Rogers
Derbyshire: Lacey, Thompson

Offline g a r

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 December 07 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi rich,

Maybe that's a connection that is further back.

I have a similar thing with my Ives and fellows named Allen. Two groups seemingly distinct but there are only a handful in all of the UK (related? not that i've found out, yet  :D )

cheers,
g a r

Offline rich23434565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 December 07 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi rich,

Maybe that's a connection that is further back.

I have a similar thing with my Ives and fellows named Allen. Two groups seemingly distinct but there are only a handful in all of the UK (related? not that i've found out, yet  :D )

cheers,
g a r

Good luck with linking them up! I've got a similar situation with another branch, the Timbrell family. An unusual name and in Wiltshire there are two huge clumps of them living within a couple of miles of each other (at Minety and Kemble) in the 17th century. I can't find a sniff of a hint that suggests they're related but they must be!  :D  I'll get there in the end.  :)
France & The Netherlands (Amsterdam): Detenon, De Brader, Slingerland, Goetje, Fokke
Gloucestershire: Cripps, Morse, Heaven, Timbrell, Draper, Olliffe, Adeane, Young, Goodrich

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 December 07 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich,

I have an Hester Timbrell in my tree c1699 in Kemble, married Richard Gibbens (Gibbons) 28/11/1720 Kemble. 

Do You have any info on this lady during your research?

Regards

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline rich23434565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 December 07 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich,

I have an Hester Timbrell in my tree c1699 in Kemble, married Richard Gibbens (Gibbons) 28/11/1720 Kemble. 

Do You have any info on this lady during your research?

Regards

Cas

Hi Cas

At the moment the answer is no, I've not got any info on Hester Timbrell. She would've been a contemporary of my greatxsomething grandfather, Joseph Timbrell, who was born in Minety in 1709. I'm still trying to piece together the Timbrells of Minety in the 1600s, the records are a bit fragmentary. I'm visiting the Wiltshire Archives during the coming week to look for a Kemble/Minety connection so I'll keep you posted  :)  There must be a connection somewhere, I' m sure!

Bws

Rich

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 December 07 22:17 GMT (UK) »
There is another reason for movement.  He may have been employed by a landowner who had several estates and moved to another estate because he was offered a cottage for him and his new wife there.